New Age Cartoons and Why They Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Raise your hand if cartoons were one of the best things about your childhood! I can certainly say they were part of mine. Watching our favorite characters and the different situations and problems they dealt with impacted our young minds, leading to the creation of the way we now view and handle the world.

When I was growing up, however, many of my favorite cartoons had male protagonists, poorly developed female side characters, and no themes elaborating on the experiences of disability or LGBTQIA+ in the slightest. While most shows included good lessons, many times they came with mixed messages. Characters tended to revolve around a humorous, but flimsy storyline. Character designs were usually set in stone, where the “ideal” women are depicted as thin, cookie cutter models and “fat” characters were seen as bumbling, gawky oafs.

Even though these cartoon characteristics are still present today, there are new cartoons that are taking leaps and strides in developing far more diverse casts; mainly revolving around strong female characters and gentler male characters. Three examples of of this include Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, and Steven Universe.

The first show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, presents strong themes of the effects of war, overcoming grief, and redefining real strength. Prince Zuko and Princess Azula both struggle with the effects of child abuse and mental disorders, respectively. Aang, the main character, preaches about peaceful methods to ending the war in the story and chooses a nonviolent method to defeat the main villain. Katara, a woman of color, develops her own skills and builds a path all on her own, all while dealing with the loss of her mother. Toph, a blind fighter, shows that what others see as a disability can be a great strength. And after Sokka apologizes for treating her like a “girl” instead of a warrior, Suki asserts, “I am a warrior. But I’m a girl too.”

Likewise, the show’s successor, The Legend of Korra, reveals similar themes. The titular character is a woman of color who seeks to find her way as the Avatar while dealing with depression,a condition many people associate with. The series finale shows Korra walking off hand-in-hand with Asami, implying that not only are the two in a same-sex and interracial relationship, but that the women are bisexual. Considering that the media has often played a role in the erasure of bisexual representation, this is a huge leap in representation coming from a children’s show.

In Steven Universe, Steven is a young overweight boy who is raised and trained by Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst, his feminine and non-binary caretakers. Steven is kind and gentle, constantly defusing situations through nonviolent measures. Each of his caretakers have varying body types, personalities, and strengths that are never seen as “weak.” Pearl is rather feminine and petite, a hectic but loving motherly figure; Garnet is tall and stoic, a reserved but no less loving character; and Amethyst is chubby and fun loving, always keeping the mood light. Each character struggles with the loss of Steven’s mother, their leader, who is depicted as a tall, beautiful, fat woman. Instead of being the butt of a joke, Rose Quartz is instead revered as a warm loving figure and a highly intelligent tactician. If that were not enough, the show also demonstrates vastly prominent LGBTQIA+ themes, including an on-screen kiss between a same-sex couple.

We need more shows like these three. Certainly they are not perfect, but for the sake of children in need of role models, this is an important first step. They show deep, meaningful issues that many children go through, while still being lighthearted enough for children to enjoy; not to mention, seeing those issues represented can do wonders for a child’s self-esteem. Traits that are usually seen as jokes, such as being fat, are now being seen as simply another aspect of what could be an amazing person *preacher hands*. Kids who might not feel as though they are straight can see same-sex couples and say, “That’s me! I’m not alone!” Being able to see themselves reflected in their favorite characters is one of the absolute greatest things that we can do for children, and these shows are a welcoming change of pace. And just think, this is only the beginning! There is such a huge possibility that these shows, few and far right now, might someday become as commonplace as those older, outdated styles. It’s a whole new realm, for both children and adults, and I’m glad that we are all here to see it begin.

I am currently I senior here at our fair SUNY Oswego! While I enjoy writing for Her Campus, I also participate as the managerial editor for the Great Lake Review, as a student manager(called a group leader) at the Mackin Dining Complex, and as a community service member for the Women's Honor Society, VEGA. My future is a bit of a mystery even to me, but I believe that I'll either pursue the life of a librarian or the life of a baker!
Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.