This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Coming back from winter break is always a challenge. The weather is cloudy and in Oswego, it can go from snow to rain to hail in literally 15 minutes. Seasonal depression is all too real in the winter months, especially when you have to adjust to being home, then back to school in only a few weeks. Life moves at a slower pace and yet work piles up so quickly, so it feels like you may never see the surface again.Source: GIPHY.com. 

When someone hears “spring,” images of pretty flowers, sunshine, and vibrant green grass probably flash through their mind. But in reality, at Oswego there’s slippery mounds of snow, 30 mile per hour winds coming straight off Lake Ontario, and sinus headaches because global warming has decided to make the weather even more unpredictable by dropping our temperatures, only to tease us with a day of 40 degree weather. Adjusting back into the swing of things is a hefty task, so we listed some tips to make the first few weeks a bit more manageable. Source: GIPHY.com. 

1. Plan it out

Scheduling out your weeks makes everything easier. From writing down your class schedule to what time you’re going to the gym, your planner helps keep you organized. Even if things get altered throughout the week, having it written down will make all the difference.

2. Get out of your room!

It’s so easy to stay in your bed under that heated blanket, and binge Netflix (what we do every weekend) but it will actually improve your mood, even if you get up and did something small, such as taking a walk around campus. Even if it’s just going to the gym or to the dining hall, there are plenty of on-campus activities that will get you out of your stuffy dorm room.

3. Exercise

This is probably the one you were dreading reading, because, like, us too. . . so get back on that grind! Find a few classes that interest you, grab a friend, and try it out! Yoga is incredibly good for your core, mental health and flexibility. Working out gets your mind off homework and other responsibilities that may be getting you down during these winter months.Source: GIPHY.com. 

4. Make time for leisure activities

Another way to beat the spring semester blues is to find leisurely things that you enjoy, and can help take some of your stress away that comes with college. Find a book you have been meaning to read, or write in your journal. Want to go bowling with your girls? Make it happen! It’s worth making time to do the things you enjoy because it makes your daily routine more enjoyable, all while distracting you from seasonal depression.

5. Take advantage of the random “nice weather” days

It’s the first week of February, so do not be fooled, winter is far from over. But when we do have these days, take some time to be outside or open a window. If it is not too muddy, go down to the water or play a game outside on the grass. Take your friends and go for a joy ride with the car windows down and blast those pre-summer jams.

6. Take advantage of the uncomfortably dark days

Those infamous “dark days” seem endless in the January to April months. You all know what these days, the ones where the sun seems to disappear after 2 p.m., and you end up drenched and scratched from God only knows what’s falling from the sky. Sometimes it’s okay to give into that sleepy, down mood. Take some you time in your bed to catch up on a show, as long as you can moderate it.

Everyone gets the spring semester blues, so don’t feel like you’re alone in this feeling, because you’re totally not! Just remember to get out of your own head (and your bed), and find things to do that stimulate your mind and body. Spring semester can be hard, but finding ways to laugh or have fun with friends can be a simple, everyday thing that can make a big difference.

Creative Writing Major // Global & International Studies Minor at SUNY Oswego
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.