This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Chlamydia has become a public health threat for many college students nationwide, including those attending SUNY Oswego. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most cases of Chlamydia are seen within the age group of 19 to 24.

Recently SUNY Oswego has had an increase of cases, according to Mary Walker Health Center. There were 35 reported cases this year, compared to the 25 cases seen in 2014. With a confirmed number of cases on the rise, students need to know the consequences of the disease and steps for prevention.

Chlamydia is a common sexual transmitted disease that can infect both men and women. It is also called the silent sexually transmitted disease because often, and in most cases, Chlamydia shows no symptoms. If symptoms do occur, they may not appear until several weeks after sexual intercourse with someone who is infected.

Symptoms can be identified in women with abnormal vaginal discharge and a burning sensation when urinating, although this can be confused as something as common as a yeast infection. When it comes to men, symptoms include discharge from the penis, a burning sensation when urinating and a pain and swelling in one or both testicles.

In some other cases, Chlamydia can be found in one’s rectum as well, which can cause symptoms such as rectal pain, discharge and bleeding.

With the rise in numbers and the symptoms that are easily mistaken for another illness, it is important to get checked often. If Chlamydia is left untreated, it can lead to serious health problems. For example, women with Chlamydia left untreated are at risk for the disease spreading to their uterus and fallopian tubes, leading to pelvic inflammatory disease.

What college students need to realize is that they are not invincible in catching Chlamydia or any other type of STD. The number one way to prevent such diseases is abstinence. But if you choose to engage in sexual activity, use a condom … every time, with every type of intercourse.

The Mary Walker Health Center is giving free testing all throughout the month April to help prevent Chlamydia from further spread through campus. It is essential to know how to protect yourself and those around you, so don’t be afraid. Go get checked!