How to Turn Valentine’s Day Into a Self-Love Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s time for a pep-talk.

Every year, Valentine’s Day rolls around and people without partners dread bearing witness to the lovey-dovey bliss of others. This year, I say we change our attitude towards Valentine’s Day; instead of focusing on what-ifs, let’s make it a day dedicated to self-love, self-care, and reminders that we can be our happiest and best selves with or without a partner. Feb. 14 is a day dedicated to love, and nobody ever said it can’t be dedicated to self-love.

How do we go about this? Read on. 

It’s easy to compliment another person. Whether they have a lovely smile, a contagious laugh, beautiful eyes or a positive attitude, acknowledging the best aspects of another person can feel as easy as breathing. It’s easy to recognize beauty in others while failing to recognize it within ourselves because it seems we are more prone to recognizing our flaws instead of our strengths.

This Valentine’s Day, in honor of making it a day dedicated to self-love, I challenge you to make a list of everything you love about yourself. Maybe go so far as to write a love letter to yourself, because we don’t give ourselves nearly enough credit for everything we do.

When I first tried this, I stared at a blank piece of paper and struggled to even begin. It felt weird and egotistical. Once I started, I kept going and going, realizing that there is so much I love about myself, and there is nothing egotistical about confidence and recognizing your best qualities. 

Another way we can turn Valentine’s Day into a day of loving ourselves is through the power of music. Whether you’re team Apple Music or Spotify (or neither, in which case, I’m not sure what to tell you), make a playlist for yourself. And before you click the “New Playlist” button, no, don’t make it a sad playlist with a frowny face for the title. Make it a playlist full of confidence-boosters and happy tunes.

Once the playlist is beautifully curated, put it on shuffle, and make a Valentine’s Day dessert. Do your makeup, even if you’re not seeing anyone, and dance around your room like a ’90s teen in a chick flick. The last bit is my personal favorite part — it’s truly a form of therapy. 

The whole point here is that you do not need a significant other to have an amazing Valentine’s Day; you just need yourself. It might feel strange to fully celebrate Valentine’s Day without a partner, but at the end of the day, it’s important to celebrate the one person that has and will be there no matter what — you.

Ohio State 2023.