5 Emotions You Feel During The First Full Week Of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

The first week of classes produce a mixture of emotions, especially if you’re a freshman. Even if you’re not, you never know what to expect. New semester, new professors, and unless you’re an overachiever and took summer classes, you’re out of that educational groove.

Getting back into your groove while adjusting to a whole new set of expectations can be well… a lot. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, you’re not alone. I compiled a list of five emotions you’re probably feeling on your way to that dreaded 8 a.m. (or noon – we don’t judge) class. 

1. Overwhelmed.

We all know the feeling. You have five professors and they’re throwing a billion things at you right away and you just want to curl up in a ball and stay there forever. You will get through it, and come out on the other side stronger.

2. Confused.

You don’t understand anything. You go to your second class and still don’t understand anything. We understand how you feel and so do your professors, believe it or not. You’re not supposed to know what your professors are talking about yet because you haven’t learned anything. As you continue to complete your assignments and attend class, the puzzle pieces will fall into place. Until then, utilize office hours; it’s important for your professors to know you’re putting in effort.

3. Suspicious

Have you ever had that class you’ve gone to a couple times and nothing has been assigned yet? That will make anyone a little weary. If you’re constantly worrying about forgetting something important, relax. Continue to check the assignments tab on Carmen and make sure you haven’t missed any deadlines. Enjoy your freedom because it won’t last. And if having nothing to do is driving you nuts, get ahead. You’ll thank yourself for it later.

4. Frustrated

Your professor just doesn’t get it. You like to have your assignments set up a certain way with class running in a particular way. We get it. Everyone has their particular attitude toward learning and it’s infuriating when someone doesn’t teach us the way we like. I promise it’ll be alright. Have a mimosa and chill… we’ll get through it together.

5. Excited 

New classes can be exciting. You passed that awful class you had last semester and now you’re one step closer to your degree. Regardless how you feel about specific classes, a new semester should be exciting. New semesters can mean fresh starts with your professors, your classmates and the course material so make the most of it!  

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets

Sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications and Journalism at THE Ohio State University!