This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

There’s no telling that we went through an insane past year. New Year’s Eve 2019, I was ready to have the time of my life. It was my freshman year of college, I was getting over a toxic relationship and situation, and just ready to find myself. 2020 honestly did just that for me, so I’d like to give it some appreciation as we enter this new year. 

Dear 2020, thank you for teaching me so much about myself. So many obstacles were thrown at us. Covid really taught me what was important in life, and who was. Many relationships and friendships were put to a test and the ones that came out the back end, I know will stick around.

January didn’t feel like the usual Januarys. Most of the time we make up these unrealistic resolutions. I’m going to lose weight…save money…start actually working out every day. But now I want to change my resolutions. The new goal is to create intentions every month. That way your goals adjust as time goes on and different things happen in your life. 

2021 is in no way going to be perfect. There is still so much going on and so much work to be done. But the work starts with you. Every little goal or box you check off creates a snowball effect on the way you live your life. We have to stop wishing for stuff and actually put forth the goals to get there. 

Hi there! I'm Geralline, or some people call me Ger for short. I am a junior at the University of Oregon studying public relations. I love all things vintage-inspired, plants, beauty, and any excuse for grabbing a coffee with a friend. I currently work at a local coffee shop in my hometown and have been obsessed with experimenting with new drinks. I am so excited to be a part of such an empowering community of women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account