This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s 2014 and like any new year, there are new seasons of shows. Here are some shows that you should be looking out for.

GIRLS

GIRLS. Let me count the ways how awesome this series is. Girls follows 4 girls, Jessa, Marnie, Shoshanna, and Hannah who live in New York or Brooklyn. If you watched Sex and the City or still are, Girls is similar to that except it concentrates on the grittiness of being a 20-something that we collegiettes know so well. Girls is already on its third season with the possibility for a fourth. So far, this season is a lot different than the past two seasons, but we’re excited to see what else Lena Dunham has planned for the rest of this season.

Girls is on every Sunday at 10pm on HBO.

Hannibal

This show is beautiful. The cinematography is absolutely amazing as well as the writing. This is a prequel to the famous Silence of the Lambs. It follows Will Graham, a special investigator for the FBI, as he tries to make sense of the murders he is introduced to as well as dealing with his deteriorating mental health. Of course Hannibal is there, famously as a renowned psychologist who also treats Graham. It is certainly a thriller-horror show that probably should be watched with a friend. However, it is still really great and a must watch.

Season 2 of Hannibal premieres February 28th on NBC.

House of Cards

This one is special because you can only see it on Netflix and I know we all love Netflix. This show is absolutely captivating. It follows Frank Underwood who decides to seek revenge after being duped by the recently elected president. House of Cards is very original and cool. Underwood does what filmmakers call “breaking the fourth wall” meaning he talks directly to the camera or the audience!

Season 2 of House of Cards premieres February 14th on Netflix

Doctor Who

Yes, I had to put this in. Doctor Who has been around for the last 50 years. For those who don’t know, Doctor Who follows a time-traveler called the Doctor who travels through time and space in his T.A.R.D.I.S. that looks like an old London police box. The Doctor, this blue box, and usually a companion travel through time and space visiting and seeing different worlds and people or creatures. Every time the doctor is about to die, he regenerates into a new body and person. Right now, Doctor Who is on incarnation number 12!

Watch Doctor Who on BBC America if you have it.

Claire is a sophomore at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising and film studies and minoring in multimedia. Originally from Singapore, Claire is from San Jose, California, and absolutely loves the Oregon lifestyle. She loves chai tea lattes, daydreaming, and playing scrabble. Twitter: clairecchong
The official Her Campus Oregon account