bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Girls on The Run Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

NEWS RELEASE- Upcoming Girls on the Run event!GIRLS ON THE RUN CELEBRATES FIRST SEASON BACK IN AREA Female Empowerment Youth Program Will Sponsor and Participate in Local 5K

CORVALLIS- Local GOTR chapter is celebrating the end of their first season back in the area since 2017 by partnering and participating in a 5K event on June 8.

The GOTR Willamette Valley chapter is partnering with the Bookin’ It Library 5K* Fun Run that is taking place at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 8. This event is going to be held at the Riverfront Commemorative Park in downtown Corvallis, south of the Farmer’s Market near 1st and Monroe Ave.

The GOTR directors are tabling at the Bookin’ It Library 5K* Fun Run. Girls and their parents interested in participating in the next 10 week empowerment program can learn more at the GOTR booth at this event. This year there were 67 girls who participated in Girls on the Run and are participating in the 5K on June 8. The GOTR booth at the event is open to both the public and racers. The booth will feature a photo booth for pictures, GOTR merchandise for purchase and informational pamphlets about the organization. The directors will also be there to help support parents who want their daughter involved for the following season.

The GOTR Willamette Valley chapter is affiliated with the international GOTR, but this chapter was created to help young girls in Oregon become joyful, healthy and confident. This season there were five schools hosting the GOTR teams. Parents or Guardians who are interested in starting a team at their child’s school can learn more by visiting the GOTR table at the Bookin’ It Library 5K* Fun Run.

“The GOTR Willamette Valley Board of Directors has been working diligently to make sure that the Spring 2019 season represents our values and visions for the program,” said Allison Camp, one of the board directors for GOTR,” We have received so much local support and truly feel encouraged for the growth and success of programming seasons to come.”

For more information, please contact Caitlin Estes at 707-580-0201 or at cestes2@uoregon.

Based in Charlotte, N.C., Girls on the Run is a nonprofit organization with local Councils in all 50 states. Founded in 1996 with 13 girls, Girls on the Run has now served more than 1.6 million girls. Over the course of the ten-week program, girls in 3rd-8th grade develop essential skills to help them navigate their worlds and establish a lifetime appreciation for health and fitness. The program culminates with girls positively impacting their communities through a service project and being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5K event. With the largest 5K series by number of events in the world, Girls on the Run hosts more than 330 5Ks per year.

The official Her Campus Oregon account