This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By: Morgan Blythe

Rest is so often the forlorn friend of a college student. It is a distant possibility due to the stresses that are in the forefront of our minds as we balance academics, campus and community involvement, work, a social life, and also our personal health. It’s overwhelming, and so often rest is what is pushed aside to make time for other things. Photo Credit: Morgan Blythe 

I have found the importance of rest, and the difference that rest makes, so evident in my own life recently. I was getting five to six hours of sleep every night, waking up early to finish school work that had been procrastinated the week before. I was exhausted, mentally, emotionally, and physically. Finally, one of my weeks had a lighter load, and I felt what it was like to rest. I began sleeping for seven to eight hours a night (a miracle, am I right?), and I felt the difference in every aspect of my life. I took time to be alone, which is how I recharge, and to be kind to myself. I found myself being able to focus on scripture when reading, and I saw my time with God benefit me as I could focus and dedicate that time to Him. I have the energy to pay attention in class and do my work in a timely manner. I have the energy to invest in my friendships. It’s incredible.

Photo Credit: Morgan Blythe

I’m not giving you a justification for sleeping twelve hours and avoiding responsibility, but I am giving advice and encouragement that allowing for rest will create space for so much more throughout the day. Be kind to your mind, your body, and your soul. Give yourself time to recharge, whatever that looks like for you, and in the midst of all the busy and stress, find time for rest.