This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

One of the things that I struggle with is people saying that I have an “easy” major. 

I am a journalism major which means that my life revolves around papers and projects and the occasional test. It’s not a stem based major. It isn’t something like accounting that involves math. It’s journalism. Over my time in college, I’ve had people say that my major isn’t hard. That when I am studying or work on things it’s not as big of a deal. 

Each time something like this is said, the uglier side of me lashes out. I have said some things that may not be very nice. 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/silver-iphone-6-987585/ 

I know I am not alone in having people say things about my major, but I take the work that I do very seriously. I am a journalism major because it allows me to explore other topics that I normally wouldn’t have a chance to learn about. I am a journalism major because it allows me to write and open myself up. I am a journalism major because it is something that takes practice to become better at working again and again and again. 

There is value in all majors. There is value in anything that you want to pursue. A major isn’t something that defines you for the rest of your life even though it may seem super important in college. No, who you are is more important. How much work you put into things and the level of dedication to a project. 

Ellie Greenberger is a junior at the University of Mississippi pursuing a degree in Journalism with a specialization in PR and a minor in English. She is a member of the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College and Delta Gamma sorority. She also contributes to Populi, the Honors College literary magazine. Ellie was born in Memphis, TN, but also grew up in Atlanta, GA. She loves fiction and friends (both the TV show and her own). She also enjoys revolving her social life around whatever food she can eat next.