This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Turmeric has been a part of my life since I was a little girl. Growing up, I would see my mother use the spice to add flavor to our daily Sri Lankan cuisine. As I grew older I came to appreciate the many benefits that turmeric provides. For instance, turmeric can be added to many recipes but in can also be a useful ingredient in a DIY project!  In ancient South Asian culture, turmeric was applied as a medicinal herb, and as a soap. Yes, you heard it right, it was used a soap because of its antibacterial properties. Turmeric is an antiseptic and kills yeast and parasites when used internally. Among many benefits, it is also filled with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, anti-cancer, and brain protecting properties! It’s the perfect addition to food, drink, and even on your skin for those mid-winter blues.

Here are two ways I use turmeric:

For internal use:

Warm a cup of milk and add a bit of honey (to taste) and add half a teaspoon of turmeric. While it’s hot, mix it well. Let it cool down a little before you drink it. This should improve digestion and get rid of that stomach ache as well as any germs and bacteria in your body.

For external use:         

Mix turmeric (2-3 spoons) with white yogurt, honey and lemon juice, mix it well, and apply it on your face and body like you would with a mask! Once it dries after several minutes, you can wash it off with warm water. If you suffer from dry skin in the winter, this will leave you feeling moisturized and the anti-bacterial properties will leave your skin fresh and clean.

Check out this recipe for the perfect ginger and turmeric tea to cozy up with, and this immunity boosting tonic for when your coworkers and classmates are sniffling and sneezing a little too close for comfort!

Try these once a week, a few times a month, or if you’re really ambitious, every day for a year, you will definitely see a difference in the way your body feels, inside and out!

Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island