Rappers are Not Immune to Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Perhaps you remember Kid Cudi’s tweets posted on September 14, 2016. One in particular was assumed to be about rappers, Drake and Kanye West. Kid Cudi tweeted “Everyone thinks they’re soooo great. Talkin Top 5 and be having 30 people write songs for them.” A few weeks later, Kid Cudi checked himself into rehab due to severe anxiety and depression. Ultimately, Kanye West put an end to the bad blood between himself and Kid Cudi. Drake on the other hand is apparently still holding a grudge.

This Monday Drake released a few new tracks on Apple Music. One of the newly released tracks titled “Two Birds One Stone” bashes Kid Cudi for struggling with a mental illness. In the verse that addresses Kid Cudi, Drake raps:

“You were the man on the moon, now you go through your phases. Life of the angry and famous.

Rap like I know I’m the greatest and give you the tropical flavors. Still never been on hiatus.

You stay on xan and perked up so when reality set in you don’t gotta face it.” 

Drake and Kid Cudi fans alike were very upset about this verse, including myself! Many people suffer from mental illnesses and some have even lost loved ones due to mental illness. Mental illness should be taken just as seriously as any other disease out there. People with mental illness, especially depression, struggle constantly just getting through the day. Who is Drake to put down someone for having a mental illness? He refers to Kid Cudi’s problems as just a “phase” and mentions Cudi’s use of medication, something very serious!

Beef between rappers isn’t an excuse to speak so negatively about the issues someone is going through. If you are someone with a mental illness, just know that your illness matters, that you matter, and that you are not just a stigma. In time and with help, you will overcome your mental illness- stay strong and positive. Mental illness is no joke. Let this be a learning opportunity: like the trending hashtag #YouGoodMan that arose after Kid Cudi’s admission to open conversation about mental illness among black men.

I am a college student who loves to read, write, and meet new people.
Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island