The holidays are right around the corner! The first thing that comes to mind when I think about Thanksgiving is food and most importantly dessert of course! Pie is always a favorite, and every Thanksgiving in my family we make a pumpkin pie. Here’s how to make the perfect pumpkin pie!
For the Crust
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled with a knife
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 6-1/2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, in 4 pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
Filing for the pie
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (about 2 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 3 large eggs yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups evaporated milk.
To prepare the pie crust:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Prepare the pie crust by rolling the dough out to 12-inches in diameter. gently fit it into the pie plate, trim any excess dough, and flute the edges. Line the pie dough with parchment paper or foil, making sure to cover the bottom and fit it snuggly in the corners and up the sides.
3. Bake the pie crust at 400°F for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the parchment paper. Return the pie crust to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
To prepare the filling:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients to make the pumpkin pie filling!
To make the pumpkin pie:
1. Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the partially baked pie crust.
2. Return to the oven and bake at 400°F for 45-50 minutes, or until the center is almost set (it should be a little wobbly).
3. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack for 2-3 hours to cool completely. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
Enjoy your perfect pie !