harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

When to Know It’s More Than Feeling Blue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by DAVIDCOHEN on Unsplash

While everyone can feel sad or lonely at times, if you feel like this for a long time or it prevents you from leading a normal life, you may have clinical depression. Below are a list of the most common signs of depression.

These symptoms include:

• Trouble concentrating

• Fatigue, even when you have gotten enough sleep

• Feelings of worthlessness, helplessness, pessimism and hopelessness

• Drastic changes in sleeping patterns like insomnia or sleeping all the time

• Irritability

• Restlessness

• Losing interest in things you were once passionate about

• Changes in appetite like overeating or never feeling hungry

• Aches, pains or headaches that don’t go away

• Digestive problems that don’t improve, even with treatment

• Constantly feeling sad, anxious or empty

• Suicidal thoughts or attempts

If you feel many of these symptoms, you may need to talk to your doctor. Along with that, if you are ever having thoughts of suicide or have attempted it, please know that you are not alone. While you may not feel like there is any hope for you, talking to someone, whether it be a parent or a friend, can help immensely. Then, make sure to seek professional help as many who do not end up getting worse. Remember that there is always someone who can help you, even if you think there may not be.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Biomedical engineering sophomore at University of Oklahoma. Hoping to change the world through small interactions and opinionated writing.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!