stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Best Way to Stay Mindful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Fabian Møller on Unsplash

Like many college students, I struggle to turn my mind off at night. I lay down at a reasonable hour, but spend too much time watching television or scrolling through my social media. I’ve done this so frequently that my body no longer knows how to go to sleep before midnight.

I also have a difficult time remaining mindful throughout my day. Sometimes I am sitting in class, spaced out, and I need a little bit of help to refocus. I do not always interact with people in the best way, and it is because I am tired and in a foggy mindset. I am often stressed out and didn’t know how to control that until recently.

After downloading an app last summer, my ability to stay on track has improved remarkably. Along with working out, this app has given me an easy way to reboot my mind whenever I need to. 

Headspace is an app that guides the user in meditation and breathing exercises. It is meant to help people like me get a handle on their stress and stay mindful through any activity. At first, I was a bit worried that I wouldn’t have time to commit to an everyday meditation routine. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized it only took around 10 minutes daily. After a while, I found myself using the breathing techniques in class. It has helped me stay focused. 

Image via Dribbble 

Another beneficial aspect of this app is the sleep section. You are guided through a technique to switch off every bone in your body, and it works. I fell asleep immediately after trying this for the first time. Now I do it every night! The app also comes with soothing sleep sounds that create a relaxing environment before shutting down for the night. 

Learning how to pull my mind back into focus has been huge. I feel in control of my thoughts and anxiety. This app has brought out the most productive side of me. If you have struggled to stay mindful and focused, give the 10-day Headspace trial a chance. You won’t regret it!

Erin Feherty

Oklahoma '21

I am a junior at the University of Oklahoma and I’m majoring in Public Relations!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!