This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

First and foremost, the number one thing that you should remember going into this summer break is not to compare yourself to anyone else. This glow-up is for helping you to glow up mentally and physically, but that does not mean changing the way that you are. You are beautiful no matter what, and a glow-up looks different for every person that goes through it. So with that being said, here are seven tips to help you glow up this summer, and come back to school the best you have ever been.

Go on a Walk Everyday

There are so many reasons that you should be getting out and walking everyday. This is something that you can do anywhere, and you can listen to music or a podcast while doing it, or even go with friends. Taking a brisk walk can strengthen your heart and lungs, help to manage conditions such as high blood pressure and joint and muscle pain. This can also strengthen your bones, and improve your overall balance. We all know that in Athens, it is a little difficult NOT to walk everywhere we go, but when we get home, our fitness level decreases a lot because we are starting to drive ourselves places again. But keep in mind, walking gives you thinking time, and it gives you time to breathe and take in the fresh air. So take a walk!

Meditate

Meditating is one of the best ways that you can glow up mentally. Meditating every day can specifically reduce the amount of stress that you are experiencing, making you worry less, and feel better in general (no more stress induced headaches and stomach aches!). Meditation can also help some individuals lengthen their attention span, which is something that we all need help with having just got done with another entire semester learning from a computer screen. Help prepare yourself for next semester, and let meditation guide you into being more mindful!

Surround Yourself With Positivity

Surrounding yourself with positivity does not necessarily mean completely cutting everyone remotely negative out of your life (unless that is something you need to do personally in order to glow up, and in that case, by all means!). What this means is that you need to stop letting other people’s negative thoughts affect your thoughts. If someone comes at you with negativity, turn the conversation around to the bright side, and let them know about the good things that are happening. This is something everyone should do, not only for themselves, but to make the world a better place.

Set Goals

It is easy to lack motivation in the summer, and realize by the end that you feel like you wasted the entire two and half months that you were out of school. Trust me, we have all been there. But you do not have to let this summer be like the last! Set a few goals for yourself to accomplish over the summer. They do not have to be huge, they can be simple everyday tasks, or maybe things that you have always wanted to do but haven’t got around to yet. Then, at the end of the summer, make a new set of goals to accomplish during the school year. It will be easier to do it before while your mind is clear than it will be if you set your goals in the midst of the new semester!

Get Inspired

Make yourself a vision board, or a Pinterest board to inspire your newly invented self. Who do you really want to be? Do you want to change your style? Your attitude? Who inspires you? Make a list of all of those things, and collect pictures of each of them. Make a collage out of all of them and come back to look at it everyday. When you are looking at your board, manifest what is on it, and tell yourself that it is what you strive to be in life. Some of the most influential women in the world use vision boards to plan their futures.

Learn A New Skill

Learning something new that you have always wanted to learn can help you glow up in so many ways. Learning a new language, an instrument, how to paint, or anything else that your heart desires can open up new worlds for you to be a part of. Not only can it help you learn more about yourself as a person, but it can also help you to meet new people that are aligned with your new vision of yourself. People with similar interests usually have similar goals! 

Do The Things You Love

Arguably the most important step in your glow up journey is to do the things that you love. Work out, eat healthy, watch Netflix, be with your friends, drink good coffee or read a good book. If it makes you happy, then do not let anyone else tell you that you cannot do it.

This school year has been amazing, and I know the next one will be even better. Use this summer to recuperate and be the best possible version of yourself that you can be, FOR YOU! Have a beautiful and wonderful summer everyone!

Savannah Dawson is a sophomore at Ohio University studying Journalism, working towards a minor in Music and certificates in Italian Studies and Sales She serves as the Director of Communications for Alpha Gamma Delta and Recruitment Ambassador for the Ralph and Luci Schey Sales Centre. In her personal life she is a lover of fashion, trying new foods, music, animals, and making Pinterest boards. When she is not learning to play new music, she can often be found re-watching Gossip Girl (again).
Ohio University Contributor Account