10 Ways To Get Over Your Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

O.H.I.O. the state where it’s raining at 2:00 P.M. and snowing at 6:00 P.M. Seriously, if any of you have looked at the weather lately it is in the 30s in the beginning of the week and in the 60s by the weekend? What?? It’s February, where is the snow and the cold weather? Almost everyday I hear someone exclaim that they’ve been sick for weeks now. It is nearly impossible trying to avoid getting a cold with this rapid weather change.

It doesn’t help that we live on a college campus either where the “OU plague” seems to continuously strike at the worst time. I’ve come up with 10 ways to hopefully increase your chances of not only avoiding the cold but if you have it ways to get rid of it faster.

1. SLEEP. Get plenty of rest. Who doesn’t love to do nothing all day but sleep? Isn’t that what we all wish for? If you are a woman, you usually multi-task and use more of your brain than men do. This means that us women need more sleep than men (National Sleep Foundation). As if we didn’t already know this, right ladies?

2. Do a detox bath! These bath’s can eliminate the toxins in your liver, kidney, thyroid, etc.

3. Drink some tea. Tea is full of antioxidants that can be found in fruit and vegetables!

4. If you don’t like tea, then try fruits or vegetables!

5. If you aren’t down for the healthy route, eat marshmallows. The gelatin helps coat your throat and relieve soreness.

6. I know this might sound odd but if you do not have a humidifier use a crock pot! Who knew?

7. If you’re constantly sneezing, blowing your nose and have that congested mouth breathing; apply honey to your lips to help get some moisture! Let’s be honest, no one wants to be kissing your dry, chapped, crusty lips.

8. Apply heat. If you have an ear ache, take a sock and fill it up with rice; put it in the microwave to heat it up and place it on your ear.

9. Can’t forget soup! I love chicken noodle soup when I am sick. It’s light on your stomach, warm and a good source of minerals along with protein!

10. I know there are those folks out there who are too “tough” for medicine … Continue doing nothing and see how far that gets you.

(All gifs courtesy of giphy.com) 

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!