This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

Fitting a self care day into our schedules now-a-days seems impossible to accomplish due to the circumstances we are currently living in. With Zoom University still happening and the pandemic still in full force, our health is sometimes the last thing we think of. Yet, this should not always be the case. After our first full remote semester last year occurred, I realized that I was putting too much stress on myself that was not as necessary. Reflecting on my daily procrastination habits and a total lack of sleep, I realized that I was glued to my laptop the whole day. Luckily, this semester I’ve set up a good schedule in advance to be able to give myself that ‘ideal’ self-care day, at least once a week. Here’s my ideal step by step self-care day that always helps me relax to take on the upcoming week!  

1. Plan in advance your week to give yourself that self care day only for you.

Planning your workload for the week in advance allows you to fully take off a day specifically for you. For myself, my favorite day of the week to pamper myself is thursday (friday-eve!). I plan every homework assignment that is due that week before Thursday so I can just relax. 

2. Wake up early and go for a coffee run (or matcha/tea!).

It wouldn’t be a pamper day without a little coffee! I always like to get up early and treat myself to a special drink at one of the local coffee shops around campus. My favorite coffee shop at the moment is Dancing Goats in Buckhead (their vanilla iced lattes are the best!). I park my car and enjoy the morning air with a little walk around town, and maybe grab some snacks at the Trader Joe’s behind. 

3. Travel virtually (optional).

Something I’m often guilty of doing is looking up Youtube videos of people walking or driving through different cities. ‘Walking NYC’ or ‘Los Angeles: Night Ride’ are some of my favorites. As crazy as it sounds, it allows me to feel calm and gives me the anticipated excitement of being able to travel again when the pandemic is over. 

4. Pre-Spring room cleanse.

Being able to jump into some clean sheets is always the best feeling in the world. Switch your sheets and clean your closet! Pull out your spring clothes as the warm weather approaches us!

5. Exercise.

I always suggest a small HIIT workout on Youtube or some yoga! Your body will love to feel some movement and you will feel a lot better too! My favorite Youtubers to follow are: (1) Lilly Sabri, (2) Holly Dolke & (3) Yoga with Bird.

6. Face/feet masks as you listen to your favorite playlist.

A face mask or it wasn’t a pamper day! I always like putting on a nice sheet mask as I listen to some John Mayer or Adele. My favorite face masks at the moment are: Dr.Jart Solution (USD $6), Herbivore: Tansy Mask (USD $48), Peter Thomas Roth: Cucumber Detox Mask (USD $55), Iroha Foot mask (USD $9). Also, I recently discovered feet masks that will leave you peeling, but trust me, your feet will thank you later! 

7. Watch your favorite movie.

Comfort movies always make me feel… Well comfortable! Watch your favorite film or try something new! Pop some popcorn, eat some candy, or even your favorite fruit. My favorite comfort movies include: (1) Love Rosie, (2) Stuck in Love, (3) The longest Ride, & (4) Home Alone (Christmas movie in March?, I know…) 

8. Go to Sleep early!

After a long and calming day, it’s time to fully relax and head to bed early to take on the world tomorrow!

Remember school is important, but so is your mental health! It’s okay to take this time off. Don’t feel guilty for not looking at your workload that day. You earned it queen! 

Montserrat Olvera is a sophomore at Oglethorpe University majoring in Economics and double minoring in Graphic Design & Business. She is passionate about photography, graphic design, traveling and her family.
Kaitlin is a Junior Communications major and Psychology minor at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, Georgia. On campus, she's a member of the Alpha Sigma Tau sorority, Oglethorpe's Career Development team, and the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she isn't working or studying, Kaitlin enjoys writing, hiking, painting, and exploring the city with her friends.