Wellness

What You Need to Know about Eating Disorders in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

**Trigger Warning: Eating Disorders Talked About Heavily** 

While National Eating Disorder Awareness week may be over, there is still a conversation to be had about eating disorders in college (and all other stages of one’s life). According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, “eating disorders are the deadliest mental illnesses, second only to opioid overdose.” 

The stigma surrounding eating disorders has created an “image” of what an eating disorder looks like. Eating disorders affect people of all ages, genders, weight, race, sexuality and every demographic in between.. Not to mention, college is a difficult time for students who are adjusting to life on their own, most likely spending their first appreciable amount of time away from the support system of their families. 

College students often times pick up unusual eating habits, so it’s important to be able to spot the difference between an eating disorder and a whacky eating schedule. Knowing the warning signs of an eating disorder could save your life and others, so here’s a list of what the National Eating Disorder Association wants you to look for in college students. 

• Limiting or Refusing Food 

• Eating Past Fullness Routinely 

• Preoccupation with Body Image or Weight 

• Abnormal Changes in Mood or Intense Mood Swings 

• Excessive Exercising 

While these are some common warning signs, they aren’t the only ones and just because someone isn’t showing one of these symptoms, doesn’t mean they automatically aren’t struggling with an eating disorder. 

If you notice these symptoms or others in yourself or in a friend, it’s important to keep an eye on them and check in on them. If you are the one noticing these thoughts or habits in yourself, open up to someone close to you and explain to them what’s going on. If there isn’t someone you feel comfortable confiding in, consider calling a professional in the healthcare field or visiting the Women’s Center at ODU (which is open to anybody regardless of gender). 

Depending on the relationship, you may consider talking to them and opening yourself up for a conversation if they are willing to talk. Be a good listener, especially since this is something that your friend is struggling with. Make sure you do your research and read up on what they may be going through to be as accessible as possible for helping them. 

Ultimately, spreading awareness and educating those around you on the dangers of eating disorders and the frequency of the cases, could help hundreds of lives be saved. Making sure you and your friends know the warning signs, and know when to get involved could potentially save a loved one. 

For more information about eating disorders and information about education and prevention check out, nationaleatingdisorders.org or anad.org.

Hi Everyone! My name is Carly Herbert, I'm the Senior Editor here at HerCampus ODU! I'm originally from Northern VA, but I'm a huge fan of traveling and don't like to stay in one place for too long. I'm majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Marketing. A few fun facts about me: an avid coffee drinker, I love the outdoors, and I'm a cat person!
Hi there! I'm Maura Olson the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at ODU. I am majoring in Journalism and minoring in Communications. I love writing, photography and participating in my extracurriculars.