stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Gymtimidation Is In Your Head

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

I’ve never been on the thin side or even relatively close to it. In fact, I’ve never wanted to be, because I never thought much of it. Not until I arrived to college that is. It seemed like everyone around me was thick in all the right place and I’d like to think I am too, I’m just a little rounder than the rest in the middle.

Source: Giphy

However, momentarily, I allowed the seemingly perfect figures walking around campus to get to me. That’s where I messed up big time. I wouldn’t say that I wanted to be thin, just healthier than I was. So, I decided I was going to go to the gym almost every day, if not every day. Well, that’s until I actually walked in the gym and it seemed as though nobody was on the same page as me, which was page one.

The gym is not as easy of a place as people try to make it out to be. Looking around you tend to see everyone who is maintaining and not people who are just now getting it together like I was (guilty). OK, I’m still getting it together, but a work in progress is still progress. As fast as I walked into that gym, I walked my ass right back out. The gymtimidation hit me faster than I could inhale the musty air.

At the time I didn’t want to admit it, but I had let the gym intimidate me. Instead of going back, I spent weeks avoiding it and trying to do at home workouts to YouTube videos. I knew I was eventually going to have to get over it, I just didn’t know how. It wasn’t easy at all, but what matters is I overcame it. I accomplished this by convincing myself that in order to obtain my goals I had to let go of my fears. When walking into the gym I came up with a few rules for myself. First, decide what you’re working on. Second, walk in with a plan and a time management schedule for what you’re doing. Lastly, remember that you are your biggest motivator so do just that, tell yourself that you can do it and you will.

Source: Giphy

I used to be one of the laziest people I knew until I decided not to be anymore. You have a decision in everything you do, just try doing something different from your normal routine. It will pay off in the long run, you just have to hang in there. You can do whatever you put your mind to.