This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

As our college experience comes too close whether it be the first year, the first semester or even our last, we walk out a different person from who we once were to some extent or another. Within our college experience, we face questions about ourselves, our future and the major question, our adult life.

Source: Giphy

For me, college has aroused a lot of questions. My future goals and plans, my expectations on dating and also my expectations on myself. When you’re younger, you don’t have to worry about these things, but when you enter the college experience, every decision you make here helps shape the future you’re going to live in. We are here investing four years of our lives to walk out with a piece of paper saying this is what we really want to do. For me, it’s been a long road coming here. I sway back and forth from one spectrum to another on deciding a major.

I want to be a singer.

I want to build things.

I want to be a psychologist.

I want to join the Air Force.

Plan after plan, I was just as sometimey as I wanted to be. The concept of my future was more so a joke than a reality. However, my first year here, the future definitely became more of a reality. At the end of this road, I am no longer a junior but a senior. To me, that is huge that my future is about to be my present. Throughout my journey, however, in this wonderful year, I’ve discovered what I wanted to do.

Source: Giphy

I’ve chosen to be a Human Service major because I want to be an adolescent counselor. To me, even to this day, I feel like it’s not a big deal. But so many people that I’ve spoken to, whether it be a friend or stranger, they praise me as if I’m doing the most incredible thing in the world to want to help teenagers. To me, teenagers need the most love and the most help, so why not help them.

Source: Giphy

This year has humbled me. I’ve been put in position through classes to volunteer and be a selfless individual. I’ve seen through new eyes that there are people who aren’t as fortunate as I am. My self-confidence has grown. I am no longer willing to settle for just anyone. I’m confident with myself as an individual compared to needing someone to validate me as a person. I look back on this year as I look in the mirror, I no longer see the person I once was. An adult has taken my place and I embrace it.

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli