Wellness

Caring For Your Immune System in The Midst of a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

The coronavirus pandemic hit us randomly, and it left most of us feeling scared and vulnerable. It is completely normal to have these feelings. Nevertheless, it is very important to do your own research on what’s going on in the world around you. It may seem that there is little you can do to protect yourself during the pandemic aside from basic hygiene practices. This assumption has been proven wrong, because boosting your immune system is an effective way of keeping yourself safe that many don’t attempt. 

According to Troy Torgerson, MD, PhD, director of experimental immunology at the Allen Institute for Immunology, the immune system is “one of just two organ systems in the body that learn and develop memory- the other one being, obviously, the brain.” Our immune system is a very important system within our body that works together with all other organ systems. For example, without a healthy gut you could have a weakened immune system, because our body’s gut is the brain of the immune system.

Let’s start with discussing intestinal health when considering boosting our immunity. A healthy diet is important for keeping your immune system strong. It can be the first line of defense for the immune system. Certain foods are even said to help specific health problems, such as leafy greens like kale or swiss chard are excellent sources of folate, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin C, and fiber. Avocados are said to be linked to reduced inflammation. Garlic is another example where it is said to be a natural detoxifier. Boosting your immunity can also be achieved by taking multivitamins. . Consult with your doctor before taking any supplements because overuse of some can lead to toxicity or health problems. Supplements can be beneficial if used correctly. It has been proven that vitamin D and probiotics can bolster the immune system while zinc might help shorten the duration of a cold.

Maintaining personal hygiene is also vital to caring for your immune system. Make sure to wash your hands correctly whenever you have the time, and try to avoid touching your face. If you need to touch your face, wash your hands beforehand to make sure no germs transmit to your face. Make it your mission to disinfect frequently touched objects and areas whenever you get the chance. Practicing safe food preparation for yourself and others is another way to care for your immune system.

Now that we have a better understanding of the immune system and our immunity, let’s work together to protect ourselves and others from viruses such as COVID-19.

Hello! My name is Kassidi Adams, and I am a senior at Old Dominion University who is majoring in Professional Writing. I am the Marketing and Publicity Director for Hercampus at ODU. I spend my free time writing, playing with animals, or giving back to my community.
Hi there! I'm Maura Olson the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at ODU. I am majoring in Journalism and minoring in Communications. I love writing, photography and participating in my extracurriculars.