bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

PiYo: Yoga’s Upbeat Alternative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Yoga is everywhere. Community centers, college fitness classes, private institutions, and even libraries offer yoga. There’s no beating one of the hottest fitness classes today. For a girl who enjoys upbeat classes, like zumba, yoga hasn’t been a class that seemed appealing to me. Regardless, I wanted to enjoy the benefits of yoga while still participating in a fitness class that I greatly enjoyed.

Well I found the solution to my dilemma, it’s called PiYo.

What it is:

PiYo, a fusion of pilates, yoga, and dance. It offers the same main benefits of yoga while still keeping the exercise upbeat and fast.

How is it different? How is it the same?

The class is taught mainly to today’s hottest hits or pop/dance songs. The moves and positions are the same as yoga. Just imagine doing that downward dog to Beyoncé!

What I wear?

It’s recommended to wear tight fitting clothes. Bring a mat if the place you’re going to doesn’t provide mats.

Intensity Level:

The class has me sweating in less than 10 minutes. Never have I left a PiYo class unsatisfied of the workout.

Where can I try it?

Shape Up NYC by NYC Parks offers it here for FREE in Manhattan:

Wednesdays 6:00pm-7:00pm

Chinatown YMCA Cornerstone

200 Madison Street

212.385.9349

Visit this website for more information on Shape Up NYC!

Enthusiastic STEMinist. Avid Hairstyle Changer. Community Service Lover. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering major. Group Fitness Addict. CEO & Founder of Esther Nzuzi LLC. 
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.