Our Favorite Recipe of the Month: Pumpkin Penne Pasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you are guilty of indulging in the all-famous Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks, you’ll love this recipe. Modified for the average college chef, this 30 minute recipe is so easy even a Jack O’Lantern man could make it. (Warning: Do NOT try this at home unless you adore pumpkin-flavored things.)

Recipe Courtesy of: A Couple Cooks

Ingredients:

• 1 pound penne pasta (or gluten-free pasta of your choice)

• 3 garlic cloves

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée

• 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth

• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

• Freshly ground black pepper

• 1/4 cup Greek yogurt

• 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more to garnish

Information:

• Prep Time: 15 minutes

• CookTime: 15 minutes

• Yield: 6

Directions:

1. Start a pot of salted water to boil, then boil the pasta until al dente. When done, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.

2. Mince the garlic. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat; add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until the garlic is fragrant but not browned.

3. Carefully add the pumpkin purée and broth to the skillet and stir to fully combine. Add the chili powder, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Cover and bring it to a high simmer, bubbling constantly. then cook for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened. Once thickened, place 1/2 cup of the sauce in a small bowl and mix it with the Greek yogurt, then add the mixture back to the pan and stir to combine. Add the shredded Parmesan and stir until mostly melted. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

4. Pour the pumpkin Parmesan sauce onto the pasta. Serve immediately, garnished with additional grated Parmesan cheese.

5. Enjoy! (Pair with a Pumpkin Spice Latte for pumpkin overload!)

Images courtesy of Pexels.

Junior at New York University, studying communications and business. Follow her style page @itsautsams.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.