Our Favorite Recipe of the Month: Pumpkin Brownies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Hey y’all! October means spooky season, pumpkin spice lattes, and more importantly, FALL! We all know that fall started back when Starbucks rolled out their signature Pumpkin Spice Latte at the end of August. I, too, have been ready for fall since the summer. I believe that fall is the most wonderful time of the year! Fall fashion is amazing, it’s not too cold just yet, and everything is pumpkin flavored! Doesn’t the fall weather make you want to start baking all of the fantastic fall treats seen in every Tasty video?

Fall has me looking for the best pumpkin recipes out there to fuel my baking hobby (which is one of the few hobbies that my roommates appreciate, other than my shopping addiction taking over our small apartment). Anyone who knows me knows that one of my absolute favorite desserts is brownies. They are the best food to eat and can be tweaked to suit every season. 

In the spirit of the fall season and pumpkins, I am going to share one of the best and easiest brownie recipes I have ever made. You can make it in your dorm or apartment. You’ll need: 

• 1 box of brownie mix (choose your favorite but I personally recommend Duncan Hines) 
  • Half a can of pumpkin pie filling
  • 6 oz of cream cheese 

It’s that easy! You can add chocolate chips as well, but personally I am not a fan (no shade at those who enjoy them).

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to the temperature that the brownie mix box recommends (keep it around 350 F if unsure)

2. Make the brownie batter according to instructions in one bowl and set to the side. You can add chocolate chips to the batter if you prefer it. 

3. In another bowl, mix pumpkin pie filling with cream cheese until it is smooth. 

4. Spray pan with cooking spray and put half of the brownie batter in the pan.

5. Next, add the pumpkin pie and cream cheese mixture to the pan. You can spread it evenly or swirl it in with the brownie batter. The choice is yours.

6. Add the rest of the brownie batter and bake it according to the time recommended on the brownie mix box or until you can stick a toothpick in it. If the toothpick comes clean, add around 5-10 extra minutes to what the brownie box says. 

And that’s it! All you need now is a Pumpkin Spice Latte or your favorite fall tea! I love this recipe because it tastes super impressive and it doesn’t take a lot of effort. It also makes your apartment or dorm smell like fall and all of the warm feelings that brings.You can also make it at home when you are visiting for Thanksgiving. Trust me that your family and friends will be so impressed with your baking skills (or lack thereof). My lips are sealed, but I may or may not have eaten an entire pan of these during last year’s midterm season.

Images courtesy of Pexels and author’s credit: Yellow Dry Maple, Ingredients on Table, Pumpkin on Brown Wooden Surface

I am an MCC major with a focus in fashion. I love to shop, especially for designer bags, and you can always catch me at the next sample sale! I love writing about sample sales and which one I am headed to next.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.