Wellness

5 Reasons Why Waking Up Early Is The Absolute Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

We all know that getting enough sleep is important, but there are benefits to waking up early, too! It can change your life for the better and give you a whole new perspective on the world. Here are five reasons why waking up early might just be the best thing that’s ever happened to you.

1) You have the world to yourself!

That’s right! No one’s around to bother you. This means that this time is for you only, and you choose how you want to use it. There’s a calmness in the morning, even in a city like New York. There is always a feeling of stillness that each morning brings to the city that is famously known for being “the city that never sleeps.” Sidewalks aren’t packed with rushing people, and for once the subways aren’t crowded. The quiet and slow wakefulness of the street gives way to a truly magical feeling. Who wouldn’t want to experience that?

2) Read

Read some of that book you’ve been itching to start. Read the newspaper, or just the headlines of the day, a funny graphic novel, or the back of the cereal box. It doesn’t matter, so long as you enjoy it! If that is not your cup of tea, you can also use this time to do anything you keep meaning to do but forget about, i.e. taking care of your plants, laundry, cleaning up your space. The possibilities are endless.

3) Exercise

Time to buckle down and try that early morning workout class you’ve been eyeing for a while, and see how you feel after. Alternatively, you can opt for a walk or a run by the river or through a park. If you weren’t doing this before, you’ll see yourself awake, energized, and ready to take on the rest of the day! You can even take advantage of this extra time by incorporating a meditation practice into your routine. Meditation can help you take a few minutes to relax and gather your energy for the new day.

4) Food

Cook yourself a hearty breakfast, or go out and treat yourself to one! I find that most mornings, I’m in such a rush to get out the door that I hardly have time to eat anything, and then my stomach decides to announce its hangry-ness to everyone in my lecture. Trust me, it’s not fun to be hungry and angry during a lecture. If you’re up early, the things you’ll do are endless! Time to bust out that new recipe and cook something delicious to get you through your classes. Your stomach will thank you later. 

5) Have a self-care morning

You’ll suddenly have so much time on your hands that you’ll be able to take a luxurious bath or shower, put on a face mask, moisturize, and/or all of the above. You’ll smell like a garden, and you’ll feel relaxed and rejuvenated. Self care is so important to everyone. Go right ahead, you deserve it. 

Photos courtesy of Pexels.

Hi, Elvire here. I'm originally from France but grew up in multiple places except for France. I am a junior studying Global Liberal Studies with a double minor in Art History and German. You can typically find me wandering in museums, or exploring the streets of Berlin. Also a chocolate junkie.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.