SU Elections: Mike Flanagan for Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Mike Flanagan is a 4th year Electrical and Electronic Engineering​ student running for Activites Officer in this week’s SU elections. Here’s why he thinks you should support him…

Why did you want to run for Activities Officer?

Having been actively involved in the Students’ Union for two years, I have tried to make a lot of change in the way that events are run and the way that students are included. I think that I now have enough experience and knowledge of the Students’ Union to really take the next step into a full time role and commit myself to making change in terms of inclusivity and improving participation in societies. I feel that the Students’ Union has a responsibility to do a better job of engaging its students and I think I know how to do that.

What are your manifesto highlights?

The point that I’m most invested in is the Welfare in Activities Scheme. It’s something that’s been inspired by the Welfare in Sports Scheme over the last two years and basically ensures that every committee has a welfare representative on it. I want to bring that to every society and ensure that, by collaborating with all the services with the JCR and society committees to make sure that the welfare needs of students are met.

The other point I want to talk about is the Achievement Rewards Scheme that I want to initiate. I’ve looked at a number of different up-and-coming Students’ Unions, such as Aberystwyth, which has only recently done really well. They have a Higher Education Achievement Report Scheme, which goes alongside your degree certificate. You get it at the point of graduation and it’s a reference document, showing all the experience you’ve got within the SU, whether that’s volunteering, networks or anything between societies. It makes you more employable because it’s a tangible way of showing your involvement with the Students’ Union.

What makes your contribution unique?

The best piece of experience I’ve got is being on the Welcome Committee as an Events Coordinator. It involved planning over 150 events; a wide range of events, ranging from inclusive, cultural based events and large-scale club nights, such as one for over 4,000 students. This demonstrates that I have very good organizational skills and know exactly how the Students’ Union works. I have collaborated a number of different departments so I know what’s going on and who to approach.

Do you prefer Crisis or Ocean?

Ocean every day!

What has been your favourite moment of the campaign so far?

The hustings because I think I portrayed myself well and demonstrated how I can support all the different student groups.

What has been your least favourite moment of the campaign so far?

Waking up at 6am on Thursday morning to see the snow.

Check out his Facebook page for more information here

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!