stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sports Blog: ‘Book’ Your Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Every day, students flock to campus. If it’s been a heavy night and the 9am start is unbearable, the bus it is. On the other hand, for those who brave the rain, snow, sleet and stormy winds, walking will get you there eventually. There is always the choice of cycling, jogging, rollerblading or even skateboarding to a lecture too… Either way every day, some form of exercise is required before you start studying – already the day seems so productive.

Not only this, but lugging around multiple books in a bag is painful and also gives your arms, shoulders and back a mini workout. From experience, my 900+ page textbook needed for one day (as well as my notebook, etc) definitely works out my upper body; and so when I am walking to campus, the journey is basically an all round body toner. By dinnertime, I feel guilt free and relieved as my work is done, especially after actually going to my lectures!

What I want to prioritize though is the ‘lecture-book work out,’ as I see it. Picture yourself: it’s Friday, you’re planning on going to Ocean and can’t fit in going to the gym – code: you don’t want to leave the house – especially with the rain that’s been coming and going; and you don’t own any weights or specific workout equipment. Turn to the next best thing: books.

By holding two similar sized books in each hands, you can do different arm exercises, for example, alternating bicep curls: place your arms straight facing out and lift the books towards your shoulders, a tad higher than a 90-degree angle.

Next try shoulder presses, which involves straightening your arms, from an initial bent position, above your head as shown:

Lunges are a great way to tone your legs, but even better if you hold one book in either hand. It makes the exercise more strenuous and burns more calories.

And if you really feel like you can’t face exercise, simply read whilst squatting and you can kill two birds with one stone! The weight of the book – don’t be afraid to use your heavy textbook – subtlety will tone your arms in the process.

In fact, when you think of exercises you may do at the gym, move the workout to your bedroom and just substitute dumbbells for books. At the beginning of the term, it is annoying having to spend gazillions on Amazon to get the right books for the right modules; but we’ve never thought to question whether there are more than one practical use with all of these pages. Get creative and try to burn whilst ticking off your to-do list for the upcoming week. If you have any inspiring ideas with what to do with them, tweet photos @HCNottingham or send to our Facebook page for everyone to be motivated too.

Edited by Ili Mustafa

I am a third year student at the University of Nottingham studying English with Creative Writing. I love to travel, read, swim, keep fit, and listen to music. In my spare time, I enjoy meeting up with my friends and family to watch films or go for drinks.Follow me on twitter @gabyblock 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!