This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Now I don’t know about you, but pancakes are one of my favourite foods. I love the fact that there is a day for them. Some people only eat them on that one day, which I personally think is a real shame – they are missing out! I like to eat them all year round and use them as my comfort food; my Mum makes them for me if I have had a bad day. I have tried to continue to do this whilst I am uni too. There are many types of pancakes; scotch, American, and of course the classic pancake. The classic (or basic) pancake is the best. There are many options for fillings/toppings, both sweet and savoury.

This is the recipe I use for basic pancakes:

4oz plain flour

½ pint milk

1 egg

1.       Mix them all together.

2.       Use a large frying pan over moderate heat, and brush some sunflower oil over the surface of the pan with a folded up piece of kitchen towel.

3.       Pour in a small amount of the mixture – enough to create a thin layer over the surface of the pan. 

It should take about 30 seconds for the first side to cook, or for air bubbles form. Then, using the help of a thin spatula, quickly lift and flip the pancake. Then cook on this side for another 30 seconds before turning it out onto a plate. Continue with the rest of the batter until it is all finished. Then add the toppings of your choice.

Now comes the difficult choice of choosing toppings. There is obviously the classic favourite of a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkling of sugar.  But there are so many options; Nutella, caramel and banana, ice cream, smoked salmon and cream cheese, cheese and ham… and so many more.  Personally I think that sweet pancakes work the best. This might be due to the fact that putting pretty much anything sweet or chocolatey on them seems to work. I have even put marshmallows in them so they melt slightly into pancake s’mores. Mmmm lush.

And for those who have no idea what to do with your pancakes, try this…

Please note that your cat may hate you after this. 

Sources

BBC Good Food

Edited by Luisa Parnell

Helen Topham

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!