rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Keep Calm and (Literally) Carry On During Assessments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

December is finally here, which means Christmas is just around the corner… and for some of us, assessments are too. Despite being quite an optimistic person, exam anxiety and stress isn’t something that I wished for from Santa this year but, unfortunately, there’s no escaping it. 

I’m in the first year of my three-year-long English degree and knowing that I have so much work and revision to complete over the Christmas break is truly crushing. Even though this year doesn’t count towards my final grade, I still want to do well; I fear that my exam anxiety will never leave me! I’m determined to stay calm and focused for my January assessments and I hope that I can help you feel less stressed about yours too, whenever they may be.

One of the easiest ways to conquer your assessment anxiety is to prepare for them (surprise surprise!). Now, this doesn’t require you to go overboard, having five all-nighters and living purely off caffeine in the lead up to the exam as an attempt to revise. Remember, your health and wellbeing are far more important than a score on a test. Instead, you should make sure you are organised, know exactly what information is being assessed and prioritise that. 

Research has proven that the most effective method of revision is to work in reasonably short bursts on a regular basis with breaks in-between. The ‘Pomodoro Technique’ is a perfect example of this in which you carry out twenty-five minutes of study and take a five-minute break, repeating this for two hours where you take a twenty-five to thirty-minute break.

It is also important to keep a clear and positive mindset and one of the ways you can do this is through meditation and positive affirmations. Believe me, when I say meditation, I don’t expect you to convert to Buddhism and become the master of one’s spirituality. Rather, you should get into the habit of seeing yourself in a positive light and accepting that the work you put in is enough – as long as you do actually put work in! Also, if you’re feeling overwhelmed with nerves before a test, take a few minutes to breathe in and out as it actually helps to bring your heart rate down.

Another way to destress is to let others know how you feel. Shelly Asquith, Vice President for Welfare at the National Union of Students, said that ‘Confidence comes through having good networks and knowing that you’ve got friends and support around you when you find it difficult to cope’. I’ve had a tough time in the past with opening up about my worries but, at the end of the day, your friends and family are there for you no matter what, so let them support you. It is rare to find someone who genuinely enjoys the pressure of assessments so knowing that you’re not alone can help to uphold a positive mindset.

For the stress-heads and workaholics who are reading this, my best advice for you would be not to neglect your social life. Especially if you have assessments in January, try not to get so caught up in revision that you become a bit of a Scrooge and end up ignoring your friends and family’s existence. Schedule some time in the day where you go to grab a coffee with your bestie or do some last-minute Christmas shopping with your parents. Balancing your work and social life is hard, and is something that I’m still working on, but it’s vital in keeping sane during the assessment period.

Hopefully I have made you feel slightly more confident about preparing for your assessments whenever they may be. Remember that being slightly stressed is a good thing as it shows that you have pride in your work and want to do well. Have a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Amy McClelland

Nottingham '22

I’m a second year English student at the University of Nottingham. In my spare time, I enjoy watching films and TV shows as much as I do reading books. Staying fit and healthy is very important to me but my love of chocolate is greater ;-) I love travelling and I would love to visit Italy because I’ve never been! I am a feature writer for HerCampus Nottingham magazine.
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.