Wellness

A Cleaner Period with Menstrual Cups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Here at the University of Nottingham you may have noticed WasteNott posters around campus and keep-cups displayed in Hallward library. These are all part of a campaign to reduce single-use plastic across our UK Campuses, with three main targets: reuse, refill, refuse. In spirit of this, I want to introduce you to menstrual cups. Like plastic bottles, pads and tampons are used once and thrown away by millions of girls and women across the world. But these traditional period absorbents aren’t your only option…

Soft and flexible, menstrual cups collect blood rather than absorbing it, sitting just below the cervix and sealing itself against the vagina walls. You can leave the cup in for 6-8 hours, before taking it out, rinsing it and reinserting.

So, why make the switch? Well, not only are menstrual cups hugely beneficial to our eco-systems, thanks to their reusability you also save money. No longer having to re-purchase pack after pack of pads and tampons means more cash to spend and less landfill waste! Using a cup also reduces odours and maintains your menstrual hygiene. The vagina is a sensitive area, and the ingredients found in pads and tampons can affect its pH balance. Learn more about your body, get to know your cycle and you might just find that-time-of-the-month a little easier.

Still interested? Here are my advice and tips that helped me make the switch:

Research

With their growing popularity, there is a range of menstrual cup brands on the market, all of whom offer different sizes and colours of cup. Find what’s right for you before buying, I suggest checking out www.putacupinit.com (they also have a YouTube channel!)

Practice

Don’t be disheartened if you don’t love using your cup for the first time, I’m sure you didn’t with a tampon. Just know, practice makes perfect. I suggest being in the shower when putting your cup in and out on your first few goes. The water also helps lubricate the cup, making insertion a bit easier.

Adjust

Everyone is different, so keep trying new ways of folding the cup before you insert, trim the stem if its bugging you and get a feel for what’s right for you. Up close and personal is the best way. If you’re still not ready to make the cup jump, then please consider organic pads and tampons, find out more here  https://www.totm.com

Brianna Croughan

Resources: www.putacupinit.com https://www.totm.com

Image sources

1