Back to Uni: New Term, New Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This isn’t yet another New Year’s resolution for you to hear about, but rather, as we start a new year, new term (whatever you want to call it) at university, let’s try the things we regret not doing from the previous year. It could be anything, from leaving assessments until the very last minute, to joining that society you were itching to join (but maybe lacked the confidence), or it could even be letting your hair down and actually going out more often! 

Now is the time to really face these “regrets” before the term starts getting busy again. It’s so easy to fall back into the habits of the previous year and before you know it that’s another year down at university, and you haven’t done half the things you promised you would.  

The problem I find (especially as a second year), is separating what you want to do and genuinely enjoy, away from what is going to boost your CV – because the latter can so easily take priority over the former, having a week full of commitments and responsibilities, and then struggling to find that extra bit of time just for you. I guess what I’m trying to say (and what every other person out there from friends and family to lecturers will have told you too), is you need to find that “balance”. But arguably, finding that can be hard, and if it takes you a semester, or a year to figure that balance out, then that’s still an achievement in itself. 

Another tip for the new year is to stop measuring your success based on what other people are doing. In other words, stop comparing yourself because imposter syndrome is not an easy feeling to shake once you start going down that route. It can make you feel like you’re not actually doing “enough” (whatever that means), or that you’re not actually living the “true” university lifestyle. But this university experience is different for everyone, and something to remember when you’re sat at home feeling guilty for not attending a social that you said you would, or scrolling through your course mates Instagram, or even crying at some randomers LinkedIn profile, is to go at your own pace and remember to set your own goals. 

It probably sounds like I’m doing exactly what I’m trying to avoid: telling you how to “do” university this year. But ultimately, I’m just trying to flag that there’s still time to do what has been on your list since day 1 of freshers week – so go for it! But if you end up regretting that decision then please don’t point any fingers at me… 

2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.