kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Simple Healthy Habits to Try in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s a new year, a new term, and the same old pressures to reform yourself every January have returned. The diet industry reawakens from its December slumber, coercing everyone into believing they are worthless unless they’re hitting the gym 9 times a week and downing ginger shots for breakfast.

However if you set yourself up for the year ahead thinking you’ll finally get that six pack, cut all sugar from your life and strictly swear by kale, you’re probably (not definitely) going to be disappointed when you sway from the planned path. This is because unrealistic expectations lead to inevitable ‘failure’; you’re not a fitness robot and you’ve got a life to live!

Here I propose 7 healthy habits to try which you actually might succeed at, boosting both your general wellbeing but also your happiness!

1. Eat breakfast

Where did the myth come from that skipping breakfast was healthy? Not only does passing up this meal slow your metabolism down for the day, but it makes you more likely to reach for unhealthy, sugary snacks on the go.

Have a bowl of oatmeal topped with some fruit for a slow-releasing energy meal that will keep you going through the morning. If you don’t have time, grab a low-sugar branded granola bar to-go; just don’t skip it!

2. Take snacks with you

Even after a fuelling breakfast, you’re inevitably going to need something to tide you over until lunch. Rather than wait for hunger to strike and hitting up the nearest vending machine for a chocolate bar or packet of crisps, pack fresh fruit, carrots and hummus in your bag. You could even take some homemade flapjacks with you for a healthier alternative that keeps you on track with whatever diet goal you’ve set yourself.

3. Allow treats

Continuing on from that, no diet should completely exclude your favourites. If you do, you’ll just eventually give into temptation and most probably binge on them. Incorporate a small treat into everyday, such as a few squares of dark chocolate or some low-fat ice cream, and you won’t feel like you’re missing out on something sweet, making you more likely to stick to your healthier regime. You’re not training for the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show after all – you’re going for long term healthy change!

4. Drink more water

It’s a natural headache remedy, it increases energy levels, improves skin complexion, and it’s totally free! Start chugging it back before every meal so you don’t feel the need to eat as much, whilst infusing it with some fruit will add flavour to those who are adverse to the plain taste.

5. Eat your fruits and veggies

They’re an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, help to reduce risk of heart disease and some cancers, and they also just taste really good once you start experimenting! Many people have a mental block over fruit and veg after being told they won’t like it as a child but they have to eat it anyway.

The good news is that there’s so much more to supplement your dinner with than perhaps your age-old foes of broccoli and cauliflower. Aubergine is easily roasted and full of flavour, mushrooms are soft and versatile to throw into most meals, and sweet potato counts as 1 of your 5 a day as well (not when it’s made into fries though; just enjoy it as it comes!)

Sneak veggies into sauces or roast them lightly in the oven, pair fruit with dips, crumble up cauliflower so it resembles rice, and just get creative!

6. Use oil spray

Oil is essentially fat and it’s thrown into many recipes, unnecessarily soaring the calorie count of any dish. Use FryLight as a low fat cooking oil alternative for frying, baking and roasting and save over 100 calories per dish without altering anything else!

7. Embrace meal prep

The first thing to go when you’re busy is your health and determination to improve it. Plan ahead by bulk-cooking meals such as large pasta salads or casseroles. These can easily be portioned out for the week ahead, whilst simply chopping veggies so they’re ready to go can also be an essential time-saver down the line. If they’re there at your disposal, you’re more likely to use them!

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

Cover Photo

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!