This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

With only two weeks left until Spring Break, we are all counting down the class days until we can (hopefully) escape to somewhere sunnier and warmer than the tundra that is South Bend at the moment. Still, before any of us go anywhere, we all have to get through the next two weeks, which, of course, means midterms. 

Focusing during long periods of prolonged studying can be difficult. It can be tempting to fall into an Internet wormhole of random articles, re-organize your entire room, or even “gather your thoughts” while actually daydreaming about Spring Break plans. All of this, while fun (or even, at times, productive), doesn’t help you at all when it comes down to the three papers and two tests you have next week. 

Before sitting down to study, it is sometimes helpful to take a step back and refocus your mind. Sometimes, a good old-fashioned workout works wonders for this but for those of you who hate running as much as I do, here’s a quick list of yoga poses that can help you calm your mind before studying. Even if the only yoga you’ve done before is the corpse pose, it’s worth trying a couple of others. Taking five to ten minutes to do a couple of these moves can actually help you concentrate better and get more work done. 

1. Tree Pose

This pose takes some balance to get right and this requires concentration on your physical being, rather than on all the work you still have to do. Let yourself take a moment away from midterms and focus on doing this right (then you’ll be able to focus better when you return to your work!)

To do this pose, begin standing. Shift your weight to your left leg and then move your right foot to just above or below your knee. When you feel ready, grab your right foot and move it up as far as you can. Then try to bring your hands together either at your chest or above your head (this is where balance becomes key). Close your eyes and take a couple of deep breaths. Then repeat on the other side. 

2. Warrior III

The warrior series are some of the most popular in yoga practices. If you took any of the yoga courses for one of your P.E. credits, chances are you did Warrior I and Warrior II several times throughout the session. Like the Tree Pose, Warrior III requires balance, and therefore, concentration.

Begin standing straight up. Raise both hands above your head and shift all of your weight onto your left leg. Begin to bend your torso forward while stretching the right leg straight back. You should be in a “T” position by the end. Hold here for several breaths and then repeat on the other side. 

3. Reclining Hero Pose

If balance really isn’t your thing and you need a more relaxing pose to help you concentrate, this is the one for you. Remember to focus on your breathing and clear your mind (seriously, don’t think about your papers – you can do that afterwards).

Sit on your knees and then move your feet out until your butt is resting on the floor. Breathe in and straighten your spine and exhale while leaning backwards. Try to get your back as close to the floor as possibe (the goal is to rest your back on the floor). Lay your arms palm up at your sides and focus on deep breaths. Hold this pose for at least 30 seconds. 

4. Pigeon Pose

To be fair, this pose isn’t strictly designed to help you concentrate better but it will stretch you out (which is more than necessary before, during, and after spending long hours seated in the library). It’s technically a hip stretch but it will definitely help you to stretch out your legs and generally feel reenergized when you sit down to study again.

To do this pose, come onto all fours with your hands shoulder distance apart. Bring your left knee up to rest under your body. Keep your hips square to make sure you’re getting the entire benefit of the stretch. Then slowly come down to rest on your elbows and then, if you can, stretch out your arms and rest your head on the ground. Stay here for 30-60 seconds and then repeat on the other side. 

5. Seated Meditative Pose

This pose is particularly good if done in conjunction with another meditation. You can find good ones on YouTube or through the “Breathe” app, which is available for free in the App Store. 

To do this pose, simply sit on the floor in any way that is comfortable. Most commonly, this is done with the legs crossed. Press your hands together in front of your chest and close your eyes. Breathe deeply. Sit in this position for a couple of minutes and focus on taking deep breaths. When you’re finished, you’ll feel more relaxed and more prepared to face your paper.

6. Savasna

This is, of course, everyone’s favorite yoga pose. It’s simple and can be done just about anywhere you are comfortable laying on the ground. Simply lay out straight with your arms at your side and palms up. Focus on taking deep breaths (and be careful not to fall asleep!)

The wonderful thing about yoga is that no matter how much you’ve done before, there’s always something you can do. Taking just a couple of minutes before or after studying to do a couple of these poses can help you relax and refocus, which helps you perform better at the end of the day. Try these poses out or look online for a more complete yoga practice. Then, return refreshed to beat your midterms.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Caelin is a sophomore who is currently majoring in English with a supplementary major in Irish language and a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy. She is originally from Missoula, Montana (and believes that Montana actually is one of the best places on earth—even if there's only a million [human] residents). She is a little bit in love with all things Irish (mostly those things from Ireland itself, though she's a pretty big fan of the Fighting Irish too). She loves baking, New Girl, Criminal Minds, and reading. You can find her on Twitter (@caelin_miltko) and Instagram (@cmiltko).