Pure Barre, Pure Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This week I had the opportunity to sit down with Amy Younkman, co-owner of the Pure Barre studio just across the street from campus. There are over 450 Pure Barre studios nationwide, but only 1 in the area. Located at 1130 East Angela Boulevard (next to the Eddy Street Bookstore), South Bend’s studio just opened on June 30. Younkman is passionate about barre, and wants to share her love of barre with the ND community.

After being a barre student herself for 7 years and teaching for 5, Amy decided to open her own Pure Barre studio. She likes challenges but gets bored easily, so opening a studio with several classes each day seemed like a perfect fit. She wants to bring a spark into others’ lives, and everyone is welcome to join her “girl gang.” The studio regularly hosts challenges designed to get clients in shape while making new friends, and already Younkman sees strong bonds forming among herself and her students. Aside from the fact that barre class is a great way to make friends, it also has a host of physical benefits, caters to all ages and ability levels, and presents a low-impact but high-intensity workout.

Younkman describes Pure Barre’s classes as “music driven, with structured choreography.” There are different ways to do each exercise, so clients can modify or challenge themselves to their heart’s extent. “I’ve never had an easy workout,” she claims.

For Amy, barre has also been “one thing that’s always constant, always there.” She has three kids, and continued doing barre before, during, and after her pregnancies. She emphasizes that anyone should be able to do barre, and beginners especially shouldn’t be intimidated.

With 7-8 classes every weekday and 2-4 offered on weekends, there’s a class for everyone. Grab a friend and head to Pure Barre for great music, new friends, and a workout you won’t forget!

Images provided by Amy Younkman

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!