kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

National Nutrition Month: 5 Tips for a Healthier You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

March is National Nutrition Month, which is an education and information campaign held annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Each year, the month has a different theme and this year’s theme is “Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle.” Their website explains that the theme “…encourages everyone to adopt eating and physical activity plans that are focused on consuming fewer calories, making informed food choices and getting daily exercise in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, reduce the risk of chronic disease and promote overall health.”

While many people focus on proper nutrition as a way to manage their weight, it can be helpful instead to think of eating and drinking as well as helping you to feel your best. Here are a few suggestions or reminders on how to improve your nutrition.

1. Drink more water

About 60% of the human body is made up of water and it is important in helping the body to do a myriad of things. For instance, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, it acts a the building material for cells, regulates body temperature, transports metabolized carbs and proteins, flushes waste from the body and more.

Try to drink at least two cups as soon as you wake up, and then carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. If you don’t like plain water or would like to pack an extra nutritional punch to your water add lemons or apple cider vinegar to it!

2. Eat more greens

Dark leafy greens are typically talked about most, but almost all green veggies are healthy. Dark leafys include kale, spinach, Swiss chard, and bok choy. Other greens to enjoy include romaine lettuce, cucumbers, celery, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. Greens are filled with protein (yes, vegetables have small amounts of protein in them), enzymes and many types of vitamins and minerals. Chlorophyll found in green veggies can also help the body to get rid of environmental toxins, heavy toxins, herbicides and pesticides that we consume or are just exposed to in daily life.

3. Cut back on added sugar

This is one we’ve all likely heard before. Processed sugar doesn’t do anything beneficial for the body and recently has been taking a hit for being very addictive. The Mayo Clinic explains that eating too many foods with added sugar can lead to poor nutrition, weight gain, increased triglycerides (which may cause heart disease) and tooth decay.

Watch out for sugars in unexpected foods such as bread, yogurt, cereal, sauces, and juices/smoothies.

4. Decrease meat consumption

Pick one day a week to go without eating meat, if it is something you already include in your diet! The national campaign Meatless Mondays advocates for a nationwide day without meat. On their site they explain that reducing meat consumption will help to reduce rates of heart disease and stroke, limit cancer risk, fight diabetes, help prevent obesity and help people to live longer

5. Get moving!

Aim to move for 30-60 minutes each day! If busting out an hour on the elliptical or lifting weights isn’t for you, find something else you enjoy. Take a walk around the lakes, try a new sport, or just make sure you are conscious about how often you are moving. If you take a 10 minute walking break every hour while you study, that time will quickly add up.

Actually following through with some of these tips is a lot easier said then done. Don’t feel like you need to make all of these changes at once. Take small steps and be proud of small accomplishments!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1,2,3

Sources: 1,2,3,4

Abbey Murphy

Notre Dame

Abbey Murphy is a senior at Notre Dame from outside of Boston. She's majoring in pre-health studies and sociology and is passionate about all things related to health and wellness. She hopes to share information which will help collegiettes feel their best as they work towards reaching their goals.