Wellness

My ND Quarantine Experience: Five Things I Missed Most

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I was in ND-sanctioned quarantine for eight days. HERE™ are the five things I missed the most while in the Q!

Printer

This wasn’t even on my radar as an item I would long to have access to again. Normally, I print out all of my worksheets and homework assignments before starting so that I can write on them. Let me tell you from personal experience that having to draw every individual circuit on a problem set is very time-consuming. I feel like I would spend as much time, if not more, copying problems down compared to solving them. It is so nice being able to print assignments (or work) off beforehand. 

Fun fact: I have $6.78 left in printing dollars for this semester. 

Coffee

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. There’s nothing quite like the enjoyment of sipping an iced coffee. That rush you feel when the caffeine starts coursing through your veins is unmatched. Drinking coffee instantly motivates me and I was definitely feeling unfocused and tired without it. These eight days were the longest period I’ve lasted on so little caffeine in a very long time. My lack of caffeine was fun while it lasted, but one of the first things I did after being released was pick up some Starbucks from LaFun. 

Fun fact: I’m team Dunkin’ for sure! My go-to order is an iced caramel latte (I do love the sweet cream cold brew from Starbucks though).

Choice

Having the ability to choose is one of the defining characteristics of being human. Living in the U.S., our whole economy is based on the promotion of individual choice. We make millions of choices; a lot of the time, we don’t even realize we are doing it. Something as simple as having a dining hall meal delivered to my door made me miss being able to stroll around North or South (team North, though!) to look at the options before deciding what to eat. I also missed picking what place I was going to study or do work (favorites are Stinson-Remick, Hes, Cushing, and the Dome). 

Fun fact: The average adult makes 35,000 choices every day. During quarantine, I’d estimate I made closer to 5,000.

Sunshine 

I FaceTimed my mom on one of my last days in quarantine and she opened with, “Wow you are so pale now.” First of all, thank you, mom; that’s what I like to hear. I really did miss feeling the sunshine. I cherished my walks to the testing center at the Stadium because for that short time, I could feel some sun and breathe in the fresh air. I am definitely going to be spending a lot of time outside now to compensate for my recent lack of vitamin D.

Fun fact: Fifteen minutes of sun exposure daily is linked to enhanced mood, stress relief, and better sleep.

Human Interaction 

Had to save the best for last of course! I missed people SO much. In my opinion, having conversations with people is one of the things that keeps me the sharpest I can be. Coming up with witty responses on the spot and bantering with other people is unbeatable. While I was able to FaceTime with my friends and family lots during quarantine, it’s amazing to see everyone in person again. I missed my roommates so much. It was so lonely to live alone. I missed the constant camaraderie and always having someone to talk to during the day. 

Fun fact: Studies show that people who have satisfying relationships are happier, have fewer health problems, and live longer. Major shoutout to ND for giving me the opportunity to make so many amazing relationships.

Well that’s all for now! It’s amazing to be back in the Notre Dame world again. I would 0/10 recommend quarantine to a friend, so let’s do our best to fight this “formidable foe.”

Callie King

Notre Dame '23

Callie is a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame studying electrical engineering. She is a Gemini and is from Cleveland, Ohio. Some of her hobbies include reading, discovering new music, scrolling through Tik Tok and doing anything unproductive with her friends when she should be studying. Go Irish!