Winter Shape Up- 4 Tips to Stay Slim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Here at Northwestern, it’s easier to pack on a few pounds during Winter Quarter than it is to sleep through your Friday morning discussion section (thank you, Mark II Lounge).  The cold weather forces us indoors and it’s only normal to gain a few extra pounds. Here are some ways to boost your diet and shed any unwanted weight so you can feel energized and ready for Spring Break.

Problems and solutions

• Carb loading
    • In the winter, we may be craving pasta, bread and other carbs to boost our serotonin levels, a neurotransmitter that makes us feel good and cheers us up in these gloomy winter months.
    • Solution—You don’t need to go all Atkins and cut out bread completely.  Instead, if you are feeling down, turn towards exercise, vitamin D supplements, or other mood-boosting hobbies. 
  • More time indoors
    • This one is pretty hard to fight. When it is Polar Vortex-ing every other day, it would be crazy to go outside for a jog on the Lakefill.
    • Solution—Small changes, like adding 10 minutes to your cardio routine at the gym or taking the stairs, can add up if you stay devoted. If you don’t want to head out to the gym, check Pinterest for some good at-home workouts, Chelsea Kintzer, fitness specialist, said.
  • Staying away from salads
    • Salads are healthy, filling meals, but when it’s frosty outside, the last thing I’m craving for dinner is a cold, stark salad.
    • Solution—Boost your salad by adding nourishing toppings like warm roasted veggies, avocado, pomegranate seeds or goat cheese.  These additions will make your salad much more hearty and satisfying, while also de-bulking your booty. 
  • Unnecessary cravings
    • I’m walking back from class and I want to eat. I’m working on homework and I want to eat. I just ate dinner and I want to eat. Notice a pattern here? In the winter, food cravings can be attributed to boredom.
    • Solution—Next time you have a food craving but you know you’re not physically hungry, make some tea. It will warm you up and there are so many delicious flavors to choose from.  Right now, my favorites are Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Throat Tamer and Tazo Vanilla Rooibos.

Last but not least…

Start now! There are no miracle quick tips that you can try a week before your Spring Break trip to slim down. Instead, try implementing portion control and daily workouts into your schedule now.  “Eating healthy food and the right portions is more than half the battle,” Kintzer said.  To boost your weight loss, try HIIT, or high intensity interval training. “Run for 2 minutes, then sprint for 30 seconds, and repeat 6-8 times,” Kintzer said.