purple background with oranges and stars
Canva
Wellness > Health

Stop Your Sneezing: Tips & Tricks for Staying Healthy this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Wash your hands

Not for five seconds. Not for ten seconds. For the full “Happy Birthday” song. That’s right…sing it in your head! Use warm water, scrub with soap and dry well. Does this seem elementary? Sure. But when was the last time you consciously made an effort to wash well?

Find summertime in your pantry

Even if there is no sun to be seen outside, stock your kitchen with fresh citrus fruits to get your recommended daily dose of vitamin C. Lemons are great for fresh lemon water in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism, and orange slices are a great snack for the afternoons!

Orange Slice Above Shot
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

Clean it up

Take five minutes at the beginning of every week to wipe down surfaces with germ-killing wipes. Not only does this actually clean your space and make it look nice, but it also will get rid of a ton of lingering bacteria that you unknowingly bring inside your room. 

Keep moving

It’s very easy to become sedentary when it is cold outside, and, though it’s easy to rack up a couple thousand steps walking to and from class, it’s still not enough. If the gym isn’t your thing, consider investing in a yoga mat to do indoor workouts and follow YouTube videos. Don’t forget to stretch!

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

Hydration

If you’re reading this, take a sip of water. Right now. Go do it. Hydration is critical to remaining healthy during any time of the year, but especially the winter. The dryness outside mixed with overheated classrooms and recirculated air is not good for anyone. Drinking water will keep your body refreshed and your skin will glow!

Two Friends With Water Bottles
Her Campus Media
Stay home

We’ve all skipped class for valid or invalid reasons, but prioritizing your health should always be important. Active coughing, sneezing and severe runny noses are signs that perhaps you should send a nicely-worded email to your professor explaining why you won’t make it today. But this doesn’t mean that you get a free day to watch Netflix and eat junk food. Take your free time to rest and recuperate!

Winter at Northwestern is definitely rigorous, so don’t let yourself fall into the trap of working through the sniffles. Whether it’s making that much needed trip to CVS or treating yourself to a nice day of R&R, find ways to keep your immune system strong and your morale high. 

Laurel Wholihan

Northwestern '20

Northwestern Contributor 2020