Seven Simple 5-Ingredient Valentine’s Day Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a time for flowers and chocolate (but mostly chocolate). When time, money and the necessary baking skills aren’t always plentiful, it can be difficult to put together a sweet treat for that special day. Fortunately, for those of you who want to satisfy your sweet tooth—or your Valentine’s sweet tooth— here are seven fantastic five-ingredient recipes for everyone to enjoy!

1.  Raspberry Marble Fudge

Time: 40 mins

Servings: 24 small pieces

What You Need

12 oz. white chocolate (either chips or chopped)

12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (either chips or chopped)

14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 cup fresh raspberries

(And 2 tablespoons water)

What to Do

In a blender, puree raspberries and set aside. Next, melt white chocolate, 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon of water in the microwave (35-40 seconds). Stir and microwave for a few more seconds if not fully melted. Repeat this process in a separate bowl using semi-sweet chocolate instead of white chocolate.

Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper and spray the bottom and sides with cooking oil. Now, add a layer of the melted semi-sweet chocolate mixture, top with a thin layer of the raspberry puree and then add a layer of the white chocolate mixture. Repeat and place in refrigerator to cool for 30 minutes. Once the fudge has set, cut into squares and enjoy!

2.  Strawberries and Cream Valentine Cookies

Time: 25 mins

Servings: About 20 cookies

What You Need

1 box of strawberry cake mix

2 eggs

1/3 cup oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

12 oz. white chocolate chips

What to Do

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, beat together strawberry cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla. Using a spoon or cookie scooper, drop 1 ½ inch spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes or until bottoms are a light golden brown. Remove from the cookie sheet and let cool.

While the cookies are cooling, melt 1 cup of vanilla chips in microwave in 15 to 20-second intervals. Once the cookies feel firm enough, dip them in the chocolate mixture or use a spoon to drizzle chocolate onto the cookies. Place on parchment paper to cool and add sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!

3.  Whisky Dark Chocolate Truffles

Time: 25 mins

Servings: 3 dozen truffles

What You Need

1 pound dark chocolate, finely chopped (or chocolate chips)

1/3 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons butter

1/3 cup whiskey

1 teaspoon sea salt

Optional: unsweetened cocoa powder or sprinkles for rolling

What to Do

In a microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate, heavy cream and butter in 30-second intervals—stirring between each interval—until the mixture is smooth and completely melted. This can also be done is a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture is completely smooth. Whisk in the whisky and sea salt until smooth and refrigerate until completely chilled (2-3 hours).

Using a small cookie scooper, scoop the mixture into balls and use your hands to shape them if necessary. Roll the truffles in cocoa powder or sprinkles if desired and place in storage container. Best served chilled but ready to enjoy immediately!

4. Flourless (Gluten-Free) Chocolate Cake

Time: 35 mins

Servings: 8

What You Need

5 oz. semisweet chocolate

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/3 cup honey

3 large eggs plus 1 egg white

Optional toppings: powdered sugar and/or berries

What to Do

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a double boiler. Then, place in an ice bath and mix in the cocoa powder and honey.

Next, whisk in the eggs and egg white and divide the mixture evenly into eight 4 oz. ramekins, filling them halfway. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until almost set (20-25 minutes). Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes, and decorate them with powdered sugar and berries if desired. Enjoy!

5.  Espresso Crème Brûlée (Extra Fancy)

Time: 1 hour 10 mins

Servings: 5

What You Need

13 1/2 oz. 1% milk

2 teaspoons instant espresso powder

5 large egg yolks

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3 tablespoons and 5 teaspoons organic evaporated cane juice, divided

What to Do

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and place five 4 oz. ramekins in a large baking pan. Fill the baking pan with hot tap water to cover the ramekins halfway.

In a medium saucepan, combine milk and espresso powder over medium-low heat until mixture begins to steam (3-4 mins) and set aside. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla and 3 tablespoons cane juice. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens and turns pale yellow in color.

Begin by adding 1 tablespoon of the milk espresso mixture and stir to combine. Slowly add the remaining mixture, stirring constantly. Divide the mixture evenly into the ramekins (careful not to get water in the dish) and bake until set (50 mins). Carefully remove from oven and let sit in water bath for about 30 minutes.

Finally, sprinkle each ramekin with 1 teaspoon of cane juice and brown tops with small torch. Serve immediately and enjoy!

6.  Dark Chocolate Macaroons

Time: 30 mins

Servings: 10

What You Need

3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/2 tablespoon melted coconut oil

1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate, chopped

What to Do

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Next, in a food processor or high speed blender, add coconut and blend until it has a dough-like consistency. Then, add maple syrup and vanilla until it is just incorporated.

Using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon or a small cookie scooper, scoop mixture into half-circles and gently place on baking sheet. Brush the top of each macaroon with coconut oil and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake until edges/bottoms are golden brown (8-10 mins).

While the macaroons are baking, melt chocolate over stove or in microwave at 30-second intervals. Once macaroons are baked and cooled, gently dip in chocolate and place on parchment paper until chocolate has set.  Enjoy!

7.  4-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Almond Butter Fudge

Time: 2 hours 15 minutes (Includes 2 hours in fridge)

Servings: 24 small pieces

What You Need

8.8 oz. 85% cooking chocolate

1 tablespoon coconut oil

6 oz. runny almond butter

1-2 teaspoons maple syrup

Optional: nuts of your choice, roughly chopped

What to Do

In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup and chocolate (broken into small pieces) over medium heat. Stir constantly with wooden spoon until evenly melted (5 mins). Fold in chopped nuts, if desired.

In a lined oven dish or baking pan, pour the chocolate mixture and set it aside until cool. Then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or until firm. Slice into squares (or cookie-cutter hearts!) and enjoy!

*All images from respective recipe sites, linked in recipe name.