This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Midterms can be tough. The added impacts of virtual learning make them even more stressful. However, there are a few things you can do or get to make your virtual midterms more manageable. Here are some must-haves:

A study plan

Writing down all the things you need to study before the exam and figuring out what study methods will work best to learn the information will help you in the long run. By making a schedule and sticking with it, you will ensure you can study everything you need to before your midterm.

Fun stationery

Highlighting only the most important ideas, you can focus more on the information you need to learn and remember. Additionally, a 2009 study at the University of British Columbia found that using a red pen helps people to remain more detail-oriented when writing and that a blue pen also might help with information retention.

Water

Staying hydrated is super important to your health. If you are dehydrated, studies have shown that you can impair your brain function. Setting reminders to drink water or keeping a water bottle near or on your study space can help to keep you on track. For an easy way to make drinking water more enjoyable, try adding fruit!

Sleep

Having a consistent sleep schedule in which you get at least 8 hours of sleep per night is an easy way to make sure you’re at your best. The night before your midterm it is important to get a good amount of sleep. Don’t cram the night before; it’s better to be well-rested!

A yoga mat

Even if it’s not on a real yoga mat (you can use a towel or blanket too), taking some time to exercise, do yoga or meditate can help to clear your mind before your midterm. YouTube has tons of free workout or stretching videos, and apps like Down Dog curate yoga routines to your skill level. Taking some time away from your desk is healthy for your mind.

A clean work area

You will likely take your midterms from a desk in your room. The night before your exam, organize your exam-taking space. Charge your device that you will use to take the exam and get all your notes (if they’re permitted) organized. A clean workspace can help to keep you focused on your exam.

Stress toys

Stress balls, fidget cubes and even stuffed animals are a great tool to relax and can improve your focus. Try keeping one on your desk while studying and see if it helps in your studying!

Yes, virtual midterms can be the worst, but there are so many ways to make the experience even just a little better. Try a few of these or even all of them. Good luck!

Julianna Zitron

Northwestern '24

Julianna Zitron is a freshman from New York City studying journalism and political science. She loves walking with friends, thrifting, and trying new food spots. In her free time, she can be found rewatching New Girl or baking cookies.