Graphic with purple background, a sun and gray cloud and snow flakes in the corners. Text that says: \"How to Cope with Winter Quarter Gloom\".
Harlym Pike
Wellness

How to Cope with Winter Quarter Gloom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The dreaded winter quarter is upon us again. It’s not uncommon to hear someone say that this campus transforms when the days get colder and shorter. It seems the change in weather really does take its toll and drains a lot of the energy we all had last quarter. If you’re looking for a mid-quarter pick-me-up, here are some ways that you can get out of the gloom of winter quarter!

Avoid Studying in Dark Spaces

Don’t study in bed or in your room if it doesn’t get a lot of light. Try going to areas with brighter lighting, like rooms with windows that let in natural light. If you don’t have access to somewhere with windows, simply finding a room with better lighting can also be helpful!

Schedule Time to Soak up the Sun

Although time in the sun is a lot more limited now, it can be really helpful to find times when you’re able to enjoy it. Taking advantage of those rare sunny days is key. It actually boosts serotonin levels! The boost can make you feel calmer and more focused too. Whether it’s studying by the windows in the Kresge lobby or getting in a good walk around the Lakefill on those warmer days, a few rays of light are a great way to lift your spirits.

Lighten Your Mood with Light Therapy

Light therapy helps to get circadian rhythms back on track when they are thrown off by less exposure in the winter. The light intensity is specifically engineered to stimulate key substances in the brain. It is most effective if it’s performed early in the morning, 3-4 times a week. This is offered free of charge for NU students in the Wellness Suite!

You Hear it All the Time, But Exercise is Effective

Getting into a routine for staying active is a constant recommendation for improving mood. It increases your level of endorphins, naturally lifting your spirits. It can also help keep your sleep patterns normal, which can often be disturbed in the wintertime. Taking advantage of the spaces and classes available on campus for physical activity is a great way to start a routine!

Relieve Your Stress

Spending time with those you love is always a great way to brighten up your day. You can alternatively take time to yourself to make sure that you’re in a good headspace. Making a habit of meditating is a great way to check in with yourself and assess how you’re feeling. Also, taking breaks from working hard is important for keeping yourself grounded! Winter is truly the time for self-care!

Ask for Help

While all of these things can be helpful, they aren’t always enough, and that’s okay. If you’re still having a hard time shaking the gloom, speaking with someone could be the best way to deal with it!

Luckily, the groundhog has predicted an early spring for us, but until then, these tricks are here to help you make it until spring break!

Harlym Pike

Northwestern '22

Harlym Pike is a senior from Charlotte, North Carolina studying psychology, sociology, and theatre at Northwestern. In her free time, she loves to perform with her a cappella group, create content, and spend time with friends.