rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Ways to Beat The Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Winter can be a gloomy time of the year for Northwestern students. In addition to the weather being uncomfortably cold, students are forced to spend ridiculous amounts of time inside just to avoid developing frostbite.  Though these conditions often cause students to feel as if they’ve developed a case of the so called “Winter Blues,” this seasonal funk may actually be something much worse. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is related to the changing of seasons. It drains your energy, making individuls feel moody and unhappy.

Though this disorder is serious, there are plenty of things you can do help motivate yourself and make winter a little more tolerable. Below are five ways to help you beat those nasty winter blues!

1)         Go outside

One of the main reasons students often feel unhappy in the winter is due to light deficiency. When it is cold outside, we often stick ourselves in buildings and only see the sun on necessary occasions, such as the walk to class. However, this is unhealthy and our bodies need sunlight in order to gain essential nutrients such as Vitamin D. Sunlight also has an effect on the brain chemicals that affect our mood, making it a critical component of our daily lives. If you ever have a few minutes to spare, go for quick walk! Even five minutes outside can help.

2)         Make time for friends

Loneliness is often correlated with the colder months of the year, and often times, sitting in your room and binge watching your latest obsession on Netflix is the only thing you feel like doing. However, though this may seem tempting, it is important not to forget that social interaction plays a crucial part in one’s overall well being. The winter blues affect us all, so by banding together, we can support one another in these cold, cold days.

3)         Exercise regularly

Exercise is an exemplary way of relieving anxiety and stress, both of which are influential contributors to SAD. Exercise also helps you feel better about yourself because you know you’re putting in the work to keep yourself healthy. This, in turn, also helps to make you happier.

4)         Eat Healthy Foods 

Sugars and foods with a high glycemic index (such as white bread and white rice), give you a temporary boost of energy, followed by an immediate crash. Instead, choose foods that are good for your health and you don’t feel guilty eating, such as fruits, yogurt and walnuts, all foods proven to make you happy!

5)      Don’t forget to Treat Yourself

Yes, it is important to take your health into consideration 99.9 percent of the time, but it is also important to remember that you deserve a break too! Don’t feel guilty treating yourself every once in a while. Indulging isn’t necessarily a bad thing in small doses. In other words, yes, you can order your favorite holiday drink at Starbucks without feeling guilty, because girl, you deserve it.