This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Around this time last year, I wrote an article about my experience with anxiety as a college freshman. For a while, my mental health had occupied a space in my mind similar to that of rain clouds before a thunderstorm. Despite the lack of activity, the darkness and suspense threatened me. I didn’t want anything to do with it — I wanted to escape it, but I didn’t want to face it.

Now, I’m a college sophomore. I’m not afraid of that storm anymore. Actually, I’ve got a lot to say about it.

My anxiety has played an interesting role in my life over the past year. I started applying to internships and handled a rigorous course load, triggering stressors similar to those I mentioned in my first article. On top of that, I had a more general sense of anxiety where I would worry and overthink constantly. Although I’ve always had these sorts of issues, for the first time, I felt I was able to manage them.

This past year, I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone more, which has actually eased my anxiety. This seems as though it would be more triggering than helpful, but once I started going out of my way to do things I wouldn’t normally do, I noticed that my stress level was much lower than before. I started asking new friends to hang out and travel around the Boston area. I met new people and strengthened old relationships. It was all amazing.

man and woman sitting on a bench
Alex Holyoake | Unsplash

I also made one of the best choices I’ve made in a while over this past year: I started seeing a therapist. Therapists, my friends, are rad. A therapist can help you make sense of the thoughts that are brewing around in your head and show you the best ways to help yourself. The small act of just talking to someone objectively and getting their insight to my situation has had a huge impact on how I manage my anxiety.

I’ve found that despite the impact anxiety has left on me, I’ve learned a lot from my  experiences with it. I’ve learned what types of situations seem to trigger it and how to cope with that stress. I’ve found an amazing support system and have become less afraid to speak about what’s on my mind. 

I’m not saying that my anxiety is completely out of my life, It’s still ever-present. However, I’ve learned that, similar to many things in life, my anxiety may never go away. If I take the active steps, it will get better. Better things are always on the horizon. 

At the end of my first article, I attached my favorite quote from Sierra Boggess: “You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.” This quote has become a way of life for me. It reminds me that no matter what I do, no matter what struggles I face, I am always going to be enough for myself. I’ve made it my mission to show other people the same for themselves.

Here is a link to a few hotlines for those who have questions about anxiety or need someone with whom to share their thoughts. These hotlines are confidential and are a great resource for anyone.

Remind yourself of how enough you are today. Remind a friend and a family member. Show the world how “enough” you can be.

Cameron Smith-Girl Smile Happy Colorado Travel Mountains Hiking Trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Ivy Saltsman

Northeastern '23

Ivy is a third-year Journalism and Media and Screen Studies major from Eastern Massachusetts. She spent her first semester of college abroad in Rome, Italy and loves music, theatre and meeting new people. Follow her on Instagram @ivysaltsman!