This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Are you stressed out, broke, and looking to get a good workout? Face it, every one of us can probably answer “yes” to all those questions. Luckily, there are great free fitness classes all over Boston (if you know where to look!). Last weekend, I attended a mat Pilates class at Quincy Market which is being offered twice a month. It was fun and challenging, and taught by a renowned instructor. Pilates is one of the fastest growing forms of exercise in the country, and I would encourage everyone to try it at least once and see how much better they feel afterwards!

How did Pilates originally come about?

Pilates was first developed by a German named Joseph Pilates, who was chronically ill as a child and sought ways to improve his body. He took techniques from all over the world, including yoga, meditation, and martial arts, to create this new exercise. He first used it on injured soldiers during World War I to increase their range of motion. He introduced it in the U.S. in 1926, and it has been increasing in popularity ever since!

What is the difference between Pilates and yoga?

Pilates and yoga employ many similar concepts, and can be used effectively in conjunction to enhance one’s workout routine. However, they do have some key differences. First off, yoga has a strong spiritual component, whereas Pilates focuses strictly on the mind and body. Secondly, Pilates and yoga use the art of effective breathing in different ways. Yoga often involves contorting the body into unfamiliar positions. In yoga poses, you can focus on breathing as a way to send relaxing vibes to specific body parts that may feel tight or uncomfortable. In contrast, breathing during Pilates helps provide the muscles with enough oxygen needed to contract and relax efficiently.

Lastly, yoga is primarily for increasing joint flexibility, whereas Pilates is more for strengthening specific muscle groups. After I do yoga, I feel loose and relaxed, whereas after I do Pilates, I feel sore as if I have been lifting weights. Pilates is not as easy as it looks! It involves a lot of muscle involvement, sometimes in muscles you didn’t even know existed. It is fast paced, and although both yoga and Pilates tone the body, Pilates exercises are more physically intense than yoga. They are more choreographed and timed, whereas yoga exercises are less structured.

Why should I do Pilates?

Pilates has been shown to reduce bodily aches, pains, and stiffness associated with aging. All Pilates exercises focus on the core muscles in the trunk and the spine. Exercising these muscles can help strengthen the spine, improving posture and balance. Working the core works a number of large muscle groups in the abs, obliques, and lower back, which will burn a lot of calories. Core muscles also connect to several other muscles, such as the hip flexors, hamstrings, and glutes. Therefore, exercising the core can improve overall body strength.

I like doing Pilates because it really forces you to be in tune with your own body. It is mentally as well as physically challenging. I tend to zone out a lot at the gym, especially if I’m on the treadmill or elliptical machine. This makes my workout less effective because I’m not focusing on how I can push myself. In Pilates, you are focusing so much on what your muscles are doing at each moment, the timing of each exercise into the next, and how you are breathing. You can’t really “go through the motions” as you would on a motorized machine. In fact, Joseph Pilates referred to his exercise as “contrology” because it requires such intense mental concentration for bodily control. This type of focus really helps to get the most out of your workout.

Pilates really changes your awareness of your body, exercising new muscles and finding strength during each routine. I have found that the bodily awareness and mental concentration that I have during Pilates has carried over into other areas in my life. For example, you can incorporate Pilates into your day by utilizing the breathing techniques if you’re stressed, pulling your abs in while sitting in class, or keeping your shoulders back as you walk. Pilates emphasizes a connection between the mind and body that can extend beyond a simple hour-long class. It can really improve your overall mindset!

A bit about the class…

According to her website, Jennifer Phelan is a Northeastern alumna (!) who first became interested in fitness after becoming a group fitness instructor; she loved teaching classes so much that she eventually made it her full-time career. Phelan created her own style called “Pilates fusion,” which combines classical Pilates with more cardio, ballet toning exercises, and core work. In 2010, the Improper Bostonian named this class the “Best Exercise Class in Boston.” She teaches at North End Yoga, Equinox, and in people’s homes.

This class was held in the upper rotunda of the Quincy Market building, which for those of you who have never been, is an interesting location for a Pilates class.  Coming into the class, I had no idea that Phelan taught Pilates fusion, so I wasn’t prepared for the elevated pace and amount of cardio. This was definitely a hard class, and not just because I am out of shape! Phelan tailored every aspect of her routine to all different fitness levels, so that everyone could get the most out of their workout. I thought she was creative and always kept energy and motivation high. The great music also kept me going! The only complaint I would have was that although she had a mic, I couldn’t hear at times. The shape of the building made it easy for sounds to get lost, and I often watched others for instruction on what to do if I couldn’t hear. Other than that, I would definitely attend another one of these classes!

Check out Phelan’s website  or her facebook page for this class and other classes and information.

Rep photo

Sana Mandal

Northeastern

Sana Mandal is a 4th-year pharmacy student at Northeastern University. She enjoys writing for Her Campus as a nice break from all her science classes. Sana likes volunteering, cats, hazelnut coffee, dark chocolate, and exploring Boston with friends.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!