Yoga: A Fun Way To Knock Out Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

School for a lot of students is stressful this time of year; the spring semester is almost over and there are so many things to do. There is so much stress built up because of all the pressure, yet there are ways to relieve that stress through yoga.

Yoga is a way to get in touch with your mind and body, how it is feeling at that exact moment. If you are feeling stressed, then you know at that moment you are stressed. But as you start the yoga session, all you need to be thinking about is how your body is feeling throughout the yoga stretches.

The stretches in yoga can vary from easy to very difficult. I remember when I took a more advanced yoga class and I could not do all the stretches that the other people were doing. Instead of hurting myself trying to do the stretches, I did the easier stretches that fit my practice. You should always do what is best for yourself.

As you are focusing on yourself while doing yoga, everything else you may be thinking about goes away. Everything you were stressed out about is not in your mind at that moment, and this is how yoga relieves stress.

At the end of the yoga session, there is a part where your body goes into complete relaxation mode. This is where your mind and body meditates, and does not think about anything except how your body is relaxing from the stretches.

Yoga is also a way to stay fit. You burn a lot of calories and you also break a sweat once you’re done. So, if you’re looking for a way to stay in shape, yoga can help!

I myself have been doing yoga a lot lately due to the stress from midterms and now final exams and projects. It has been helping me a lot to deal with my mind when it is very stressed. Even though the feeling does not last forever, while I am doing yoga it gives me another state of mind to be in. Yoga creates a way for my mind to think differently.

For some people, they know how to channel their meditation skills whenever necessary and are able to cope with their state of mind when they are stressed.

Yoga is not for everyone. A lot of people have a way to cope with stress or other forms of tension, and that is completely okay. So, go try out a yoga class and see how you like it.

Namaste.

I am a Journalism Major at New Mexico State University.
Camila is currently a freshman at New Mexico State University and will be the NMSU chapter's campus correspondent. She is working on a major in Finance and a minor in Journalism, is part of a sorority on campus, and also hosts weekly radio shows.