stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Sexual Health Education and You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

As young adults, the majority of what we know about sex and relationships usually comes from what we see and hear from the people around us. Unfortunately, information coming from people who are not experts is not always the most accurate. Inaccurate information about sex and relationships can lead to major problems, in both your sex life and in your personal life. After a certain point it becomes time to take responsibility of your own sexual health and make sure that the information you are receiving is the accurate information and that you are taking the right steps to have a responsible and healthy sex life. There are numerous resources available as college students and New Mexico residents that offer health related services and information on healthy sex and relationship habits. Here are just a few resources to that are available to you for free or little cost.

BrdsNBz (birds-and-bees) Hotline

If you are between 13 and 19 years old this can be a perfect resource for you. BrdsNBz is a texting information service that allows you send all of your sex related questions to health educator and receive answers within a few hours. If you are concerned about your privacy or have a question that you would feel more comfortable asking anonymously, this is probably the best way. The service also serves as a resource to parents who may needs tips on how to bring up tough conversations. Although many of us are not yet parents and do not fit into the 13-19 year old range, there are plenty of individuals in our lives who we can pass this resource on to. Teens ages 13-to-19 can text “NMTeen” and parents can text “NMParent” to 66746 to ask questions in either English or Spanish.

New Mexico Department of Health Clinics

The New Mexico Department of Health offers medical services for free or at a reduced cost depending on the individual’s situation. At the NMDOH family planning clinics, any person can request services even if you are underage and not a US citizen. At these clinics, you can receive information on birth control, prescriptions for birth control, counseling, and laboratory tests for STDs and Pregnancy. They can also supply aid for individuals in need of Women Infant Children assistance. There are several offices across New Mexico which can be found here, along with a comprehensive list of the services offered at each location. The office located in Las Cruces can be found at 1170 N. Solano Drive. The phone number to make an appointment is 575-528-5001.

Aggie Health and Wellness Center

Right on the NMSU campus we have access to the Aggie Health and Wellness Center. At the Health and Wellness Center, full time students on the main campus can obtain services completely free. DACC students can choose to pay a one time fee per-semester or pay per office visit. Although they offer all health services, they do emphasize on women’s health. The Center is staffed by physicians and nurse practitioners who specialize in women’s and family healthcare. Some of the services offered are birth control management, pap smears and pelvic exams, STD screening, IUD removal and diaphragm fitting, pregnancy testing, and more. The center also offers various forms of counseling services. Something that’s not mentioned in your high school sex ed class is that sexual relationships can be very emotionally draining and complicated. There’s nothing wrong with combing through some of those hurdles with a professional who has been specially trained to help you. You can take advantage of individual counseling or even couple or group counseling. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. You can make an appointment at the Aggie Health Center by calling 575-646-1512. Its best to call as soon as they open, at 8am and make an appointment the same day.

In conclusion, taking responsibility for your own sexual health and making sure all the information you receive about your body is accurate is a big step. Even if it is daunting at first, it can be easy once you find the resources that are the right fit for you.