This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

This year has been one of the toughest for many. The chaos of 2020 has even contributed to taking a toll on many people’s mental health including mine. I’ve always prided myself on having decent mental health, however, this year has definitely challenged that.

My mental health has been struggling this year from having to endure the stress of a worldwide pandemic, suffering from an awful breakup, having a major change in our government, and enduring the last semesters of college. Everything about this year has felt out of my control, making me feel overwhelmed with uncertainty. It’s no secret I like to feel in control and when this year made me feel as if things were out of my control I let go of everything and let myself fall into a deep hole of overwhelming stress, fear, and anxiousness.

Perhaps you may relate to some of these same feelings. Although nothing could prepare us for what this year had to offer here are some routines that from my experience, have helped me feel control over myself in a world that cannot be controlled.

Make a playlist:

Music can be therapeutic. During the toughest moments of this year, I found myself playing the same songs that would offer some sort of comfort. As a result, my “Moving Past It” playlist was born. This playlist was constantly on repeat and it brought empowering emotions of joy and hope. Whatever it is you are going through, whenever you feel your mental health being challenged, it is good to have a playlist that you can use as your therapy. Don’t put music that will make you feel sad or angry (you can put those in a different playlist), instead make this playlist uplifting and empowering. Whenever you listen to this playlist you need to feel powerful and like you can conquer anything. As cheesy as it may sound, it works, trust me! 

Organization:

I don’t know about you but every time my room is messy I refer to it as my life falling apart. Organizing your house can sometimes be the equivalent of organizing your life. This is also a perfect opportunity to blast your new “Moving Past It” playlist as you reorganize your bedroom or scrub your bathroom. When I do this, it makes me feel like I am putting my life back together. 

Self-care:

You can never forget about taking some time for self-care. Your self-care time can involve anything from pampering yourself by taking a nice relaxing bath, reading a book you always wanted to read, and maybe doing a little retail therapy. Whatever self-care means to you, do it. For me, it meant all of these things I said but I also went as far as getting cute even when I had nothing to do that day. Sure, pajamas are comfy and all but there is something that makes me feel so happy and productive when I do my hair, makeup and wear a cute outfit. 

Find a hobby you really enjoy:

I’ve always heard people talk about this, but I never knew how important this actually is. When you practice a hobby, you do what you enjoy and actually invest your time in yourself. It’s good to stay busy! Especially during quarantine time, it is important to stay busy and find something you really enjoy. 

Working out: 

During quarantine, I began feeling as if I was going crazy and my self-confidence was at an all-time low. In an attempt to work on me I discovered my love for at-home workout routines. I began following people on YouTube and Tik-Tok and saved their routines and even made up mine. I started investing in equipment and began working on what would help me build my self-confidence again. Not only did it help me with my self-image but it helped relieve any negative emotions. Eventually, it became a part of my everyday life and I noticed when things began to feel like they were falling apart I was no longer bound to my bed crying instead I would take out my equipment, blast my music and began working out. It is scientifically proven that physical activity increases endorphins which control feelings of happiness. You don’t need to do much sometimes a walk is enough so get out there and get moving!

Taking some alone time:

I’ve never had many friends, but I’ve never felt alone since I have a twin sister. As a result, I’ve always been attached to her. Whenever my sister started dating I finally felt what it was to be alone. However, this year has allowed me to learn that being alone is not the same as being lonely. Sometimes it is okay to take some time for yourself to go out and do something you want to do even if it’s by yourself. The important thing is to learn that being alone is okay, alone time is very much needed. Invest time on yourself before you try investing your time on others.

Journaling

I cannot express this enough. Journaling has been one of the main routines that has helped me relieve any good or bad emotions. I started journaling whenever I was 16 so I’ve filled out a pretty good amount of journals over the years. I usually journal at the end of the day before bed but you can add it at any available time in your schedule. As the years have passed I like going back to old journals and reading old entries of times when I felt lost or anxious about a situation. Then I read later entries and see how I actually made it out. Not only has it helped me relieve my stress but it’s a way of me actually seeing the growth I’m making.

Surrounding yourself with those you love

I know I said alone time is very much needed but you also need to remember to have some time with those you love. At the worst moments of my life, my friends and family have always been my support system. If there’s anything I’ve learned this year is that those who really love and care for us, will stay. It doesn’t have to be a large group, what matters is to have those who will uplift you and love on you even when sometimes it is difficult to love yourself. 

We will never be prepared for everything, but it is important to take care of ourselves. These are some of the routines that have helped me, and I hope in some way they can also help you. There will be uncertainty and this world may feel out of control but there is only one thing we can control and that is ourselves. 

Ayleen Escalante is a New Mexico State University Student studying journalism and mass communications with an emphasis on strategic communications.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.