This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Finals season is around the corner, which means studying will no longer be an option but a must if you want to pass your classes. Whether you’re the cramming-the-night-before or the paranoid-studying-for-weeks-before type, you’ll eventually have to take a break at some point. Worried a bathroom break might become a night of binge watching OITNB on Netflix? Keep calm. Here are tips from experts to help keep your studying on the right track.

Don’t Cram! 

It can be awfully tempting to avoid studying until the last minute. However, Corwin Senko, a professor of psychology and an academic achievement expert, says that procrastination will come back and haunt you during the exam – especially if that exam requires analysis or creativity. While he acknowledges that it can be easy to feel overwhelmed or lazy during periods of multiple exams like midterms or finals (teachers feel it too), he encourages students to create a study plan instead. 

Establish a Plan. 

If you choose to study the days leading up to an exam, it’s important to create a study plan to keep you from going insane. “You should build in studying to your schedule,” says Landan Gross, the coordinator of the tutoring center. He recommends that students study in short bursts until they start to feel sluggish or overwhelmed. “Make sure to take short breaks, somewhere between 15-30 minutes.”  

Set Goals. 

Studying can become dreary or overwhelming when you lose sight of your goal. Senko recommends that students stick to four guidelines when creating their goals. He encourages setting challenging but not intimidating goals that are as specific as possible. He also recommends allowing space for feedback to ensure you’re on the right path. Finally, he recommends planning ahead for any possible obstacles/ distractions that may occur. 

Avoid Distractions. 

You know that Facebook is an attentionsucking site, yet you still resort to checking it when studying. “I would avoid checking social media,” says Gross. You’ll end up looking at your phone and realize suddenly that 45 minutes have gone by. “It’s easy to get sucked in.” He also advises against sitting in loud or crowded areas; where it can be easy to feel clustered by all of the available distractions. Sit somewhere quiet and put the phone down! 

Seek a View of Nature. 

Feeling like you can’t focus?  There’s an easy fix for that. According to a study found in the Journal of Environmental Psychology, the solution might be as simple as finding a study spot with a view of nature. The study found that students rated settings with views of dramatic nature murals, especially those with water, as more restorative than settings with window views of real, but uninteresting nature. Students rated settings that lacked views of any nature, real or fake, as the least mentally restorative. In simple terms, find a dynamic view of nature to help your brain relax.

Move Around. 

Close the book, take a break and move around. “It’s important to walk around, stretch your legs or do something that’s not going to keep you static, says Gross. Staying in the same place where you’re studying won’t help you unwind from the studying mentality. “You should step away and close the book, it’ll help to keep your mind off being oversaturated.”

Omega-3. 

Omega-3 can be found in various different types of fish ranging from trout, salmon, sardines, etc. Not a fish person? Omega-3 can also be bought as a supplement pill. According to a study from the Behavioral Brain Research, omega-3 was found to have positive effects on learning and reducing stress. The study also found that a diet containing omega-3 helped to reduce anxiety and depression. If you’re the type to get nervous on the days leading up to an exam, opt for Tokyo Sushi instead of Sub Connection or head over to the fish market by Pasquale’s.

100% Colombian. My hobbies include eating buffalo wings, doing yoga and binge watching Netflix.