nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

‘Tis the Season for Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

It’s mid-Spring semester, which means it’s the time of year filled with mental breakdowns and sobbing like blubbering idiots in front of complete strangers in the middle of Bartels. Even if it’s not a common occurrence for you, we’ve all been there at one point or another.

Between running from class to class, writing that paper due at midnight, going to work or an internship, studying for that big test tomorrow, going to the library three times a day, trying not to forget to eat, club meetings galore, and trying to stay sane and function as a normal human being all at the same time… how can you not go a little insane? On top of all of that, trying to figure out what you want to do with your life and dodging bullets from your parents every time they ask, “So, do you have a job lined up yet?” It becomes a lot to handle for just about anyone. 

When we got to college we were excited to experience the “best four years of our lives.” How come no one told us all the fun doesn’t happen unless you have all 18 hours of homework done first? I guess life doesn’t unfold the way we anticipate it to, but I do believe that everything happens for a reason. The lessons we’ve learned from the things people neglected to tell us are what form us into adults, whether we realize it or not. 

Although the stress may build up and we may forget a meal here and there, don’t forget why you are really here. College is meant to be a stressful experience to prepare us for the real world. If we can handle this, we can handle just about anything life tosses our way. It’s okay to cry and it’s okay to have a meltdown. Don’t let it get in the way of you being you! Here are a few ways you can take a second to breathe and de-stress from the crazy college life!

• Take a study break! Close your laptop and listen to a song that pumps you up. This will reenergize you and give you the motivation to finish that 10-page paper! 
  • Take a walk! No matter where you go, walking aimlessly will help get your mind to shut off and reboot! 
  • Take a yoga class! Yoga pumps your blood and emphasizes on steady breathing. Exercising increases your endorphins, and endorphins make you happy! Happy people don’t have stress! ;) 
  • Dance it out! Put on your favorite jams and bust a move!

Just remember that everything happens for a reason and your papers will get done, you will graduate, and you will even get a job after graduation. Everything will happen when it’s meant to happen, all in good time. Take a moment to love yourself and everything will fall into place. 

Hello Everybody! I'm Mary Perucci, a senior Marketing major with a minor in Professional Sales from Brewster, NY! I'm super involved on campus! I am an Administrative Assistant for the Charger's Marching Band, I'm a Building Supervisor at the Rec Center, and I'm a brother of the co-ed service fraternity on campus, Alpha Phi Omega. I am also currently interning with Live Nation in the department of Special Events at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford. A fun fact about me: I grew up on a street named "State Line Road" which is the actual state border of NY and CT, so I've been in two places at once on pretty much a regular basis! How cool is that?! Follow me on Social Media! @peruccime
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!